Are there two Corvair engine mount versions?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
mdwray

Are there two Corvair engine mount versions?

Post by mdwray »

We are building a Corvair powered Pietenpol and have been donated an engine mount similar to the one in the attached photograph (not ours, but appears to be the same as our donated version)
However, it looks very different from the version in the drawing dated 3/15/67 in a pack from Brodhead. One major difference is that the engine bearers in the drawing are tubes rather than square and extend back to, and through the firewall, making a six point mounting.
Are there two versions of the Corvair mount? If there are what are the pluses and minuses of the two versions.
Attachments
Corvair engine mount.JPG
PoconoJohn

Re: Are there two Corvair engine mount versions?

Post by PoconoJohn »

I would ask at William Wynn's FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1117842541937300/

John C
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

The mount in the picture is the William Wynne version that incorporates a 'tray' that carries the engine, while the one in the plans uses tubes, as you mentioned. The Wynne (Flycorvair) mount is excellent and is flight-proven. If you get a photo of it, we can positively identify it because there may be some knock-offs of it out there.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

That is not one of Williams mounts. It does have a tray, but his mounts don't have the triangular gussets and are much better welded!
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Earl; that's the reason I asked to see better pics but I didn't want to misjudge something without evidence.

-Oscar