Pietenpol-List: Biplane Piet

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Biplane Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Barry Davis
I am about the join the Pietenpol builders fraternity (I've ordered the plans) and would like to know if anyone has seen or knows anything about a bi-wing version of the Piet. I've seen pictures of one but I don't know if it was a one of a kind or if there are others.I get the feeling from reading the FAQs section on the BPA site that such a modification of a great design is frowned on by most members.I'll be moving into a new house (with a BIG garage) in South Carolina this weekend and plan to get started on my plane as soon as possible. I've had an EAA biplane and a Teenie Too, but no wooden planes.I'd also like to know of any Pietenpols in North or South Carolina or Gerogia that I might get a look at.Jack________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Biplane Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
Jack wrote:> I am about the join the Pietenpol builders fraternity (I've ordered> the plans) and would like to know if anyone has seen or knows> anything about a bi-wing version of the Piet. I've seen pictures of>> one but I don't know if it was a one of a kind or if there are> others.>> I get the feeling from reading the FAQs section on the BPA site that>> such a modification of a great design is frowned on by most members.>>> I'll be moving into a new house (with a BIG garage) in South> Carolina> this weekend and plan to get started on my plane as soon as> possible.> I've had an EAA biplane and a Teenie Too, but no wooden planes.>> I'd also like to know of any Pietenpols in North or South Carolina> or> Gerogia that I might get a look at.>> Jack St.Croix in Lake Oswego has plans for the biplane version of the pietcalled the Ariel. I have the plans in fact. Not difficult to build inthe modifications, but the design is not a strong one. We calculated itwas good to less than 2 g's I can't belive that they actually flew it.It coupld be done, but you would have to do some engineering yourself.Change this, that and the other, wala new design *based* on thePietenpol.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Jack wrote:> > I am about the join the Pietenpol builders fraternity (I've ordered> the plans) and would like to know if anyone has seen or knows> anything about a bi-wing version of the Piet. I've seen pictures of> one but I don't know if it was a one of a kind or if there are> others.Jack: Good news! YOU get to decide what you want to build. I do not fault thepurist for frowning on the bi-plane (con)version as it does not build aPiet, just an airplane BASED on the Piet construction. Therein is theunderling discussion and the pro's and con's will surely be pointed outin this forum...> I'll be moving into a new house (with a BIG garage) in South CarolinaSOME of us are just lucky (did you catch that Mike C.?)Also, you might ask Mike Cuy to dub a copy of the video he sent me...EXCELLENT! This tape will get the juices going in the right direction!Gary________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "McNarry, John"
>> I'll be moving into a new house (with a BIG garage) in South Carolina>>SOME of us are just lucky (did you catch that Mike C.?)Jack, Gary, Wow, if I remarry ever I think one of my desires willbe to find a lady who owns either a nice 3 or 4 car garage or an out-building w/ heat and insulation. I think Stevvee E. and I are goingto form a sub-group of guys who are attempting to build in theirliving rooms and one-car garages :) MC________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Fir selections:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com (Jim T VanDervort)
How do we select the best grade douglis fir for our project? Can this bedone at the local wood yard? How to grade the grane and such all help isneeded.Thank youEmelita Williamsonhttp://www2.misnet.com/~asawa________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
writes:>Jack wrote:>>> I am about the join the Pietenpol builders fraternity (I've ordered>> the plans) and would like to know if anyone has seen or knows>> anything about a bi-wing version of the Piet. I've seen pictures of>>>> one but I don't know if it was a one of a kind or if there are>> others.>>>> I get the feeling from reading the FAQs section on the BPA site that>>>> such a modification of a great design is frowned on by most members.>>>>>> I'll be moving into a new house (with a BIG garage) in South>> Carolina>> this weekend and plan to get started on my plane as soon as>> possible.>> I've had an EAA biplane and a Teenie Too, but no wooden planes.>>>> I'd also like to know of any Pietenpols in North or South Carolina>> or>> Gerogia that I might get a look at.>>>> Jack>> St.Croix in Lake Oswego has plans for the biplane version of the piet>called the Ariel. I have the plans in fact. Not difficult to build >in>the modifications, but the design is not a strong one. We calculated >it>was good to less than 2 g's I can't belive that they actually flew >it.>It coupld be done, but you would have to do some engineering yourself.>Change this, that and the other, wala new design *based* on the>Pietenpol.>>SteveeI think it is just another way to make money by selling Mr. Pietenpolsplans.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: JGreenlee(at)aol.com
>> I am about the join the Pietenpol builders fraternity (I've ordered>>> the plans) and would like to know if anyone has seen or knows>>> anything about a bi-wing version of the Piet. I've seen pictures ofA knowledgeable Scout builder near me by the name of Earl Myerssaid that at least one Aerial had been built and had a serious CG problem (aft) combined with too much drag and too little power.He thinks the plane now rests in some museum. Whenever I see a photo of a Curtiss Jenny I hold up my handto cover the bottom wings----boy, does it resemble a Pietenpol.Wouldn't a scaled down Jenny be neat. MC________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

>Look up Jimmy and Connie Dean in Sanford, North Carolina. Jimmy has a Pietbuilt from an old original kit, complete with antique instruments, braidedcontrol cables, Jenny wheels, etc. He is a captain for US Air, and Connie isone of the nicest, prettiest southern women you'll meet. I'm sure they willbe very friendly and happy to hear from you.John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

The only one I heard of flying was so tailheavy it scared its owners. Theygave it to a museum.John________________________________________________________________________________