Pietenpol-List: Anyone use a direct dirve Soob ?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Anyone use a direct dirve Soob ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
Has anyone used a direct drive Soob EA81 in there Piet??How did it perform?Did it take a long runway?ETC ETC!Thank youEmelita W________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Anyone use a direct dirve Soob ?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary McArthur
Emelita W wrote:> > Has anyone used a direct drive Soob EA81 in there Piet??> How did it perform?> Did it take a long runway?> ETC ETC!Not I, but I did once chat with Merle Neyman (of Ohio?), whohas a Piet with an EA-81 and one of Dave Johnson's Reductions, Inc.,redrives. He had gone with what then was the middle of threeavailable ratios, something more suitable for a moderately fastairplane, and regretted it. Said he needed a higher-ratio reduction,which now is available only as a special order. The worst symptomwas his climb rate, which he found very disappointing. Unfortunately,I've forgotten all the hard numbers, but it did not argue well forputting a direct-drive engine on it. Pretty much the same problemyou'd have with a VW--tiny prop, high rpms, and no thrust worthmentioning.Of course, if anyone has managed to make a direct-drive Soob workon a Piet, I'd love to hear about it!Owen Davies________________________________________________________________________________