Pietenpol-List: Downward slant to engine

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Downward slant to engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
Subject: RE: Downward slant to engine The nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and iscalled "downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees ofright or left thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinalcenterline (vertical and horizontal)of the fuselage. Its purpose istwo-fold. Right or left thrust is designed in to help compensate forthe torque and p-factor of a propeller driven aircraft. It is set tocompensate for forces on the aircraft in cruise configuration. Oftenthe it is combined with a coresponding offset of the verticalstabilizer. Down thrust is set for a similar reason, but specificallyto counter pitching moment differences between full power and idleconditions. Downthrust has a the effect of helping the prop disk to bemore inline with the relative wind during climb, and cruise for betterprop efficiency. Hope this helps. STeveeBehalf Of Sanford "Sandy" Love Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AM To: Pietenpol Discussion Subject: Downward slant to engine Can anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant tothe engine? Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? Whatwould happen if the engine was mounted along the thrust line? Any help would be appreciated.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Can anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to theengine? Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? Whatwould happen if the engine was mounted along the thrust line?Any help would be appreciated.Can anyone tell me why there is adownward (nosedown) slant to the engine? Is it needed for a conventional 4 clyaircraftengine? What would happen if the engine was mounted along the thrustline?Any help would beappreciated.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
The nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and is ca=lled"downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees of rig=ht orleft thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinal centerline (ver=ticaland horizontal)of the fuselage.=A0 Its purpose is two-fold.=A0 Rightor leftthrust is designed in to help compensate for the torque and p-factorof apropeller driven aircraft.=A0 It is set to compensate for forces on t=heaircraft in cruise configuration.=A0 Often the it is combined with acoresponding offset of the vertical stabilizer.=A0 Down thrust is set= for asimilar reason, but specifically to counter pitching moment differenc=esbetween full power and idle conditions.=A0 Downthrust has a the effec=t ofhelping the prop disk to be more inline with the relative wind during= climb,and cruise for better prop efficiency.=A0=A0=A0Hope this helps.=A0STevee-----Original Message-----f Sanford"Sandy" LoveSent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Downward slant to engineCan anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to the e=ngine?Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? What would hap=pen ifthe engine was mounted along the thrust line?=A0Any help would be appreciated.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Downward slant to engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
Is it needed on the Piet? Will there be a problem if I don't have it? -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ADonJr(at)aol.com
Yes,=A0 The plans show the model A with an inch or so of downthrust.==A0 Not surewhat degree it turns out to be, but that is why it is there.=A0 Witho=ut it youcan expect poorer climb performance and a larger degree of nose dropaspower is reduced to idle.=A0Stevee-----Original Message-----f SanfordLoveSent: Monday, August 17, 1998 8:13 PMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Downward slant to engineIs it needed on the Piet? Will there be a problem if I don't have it?=A0-----Original Message-----=46rom: steve(at)byu.edu Date: Monday, August 17, 1998 11:18 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: RE: Downward slant to engineThe nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and is ca=lled"downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees of rig=ht orleft thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinal centerline (ver=ticaland horizontal)of the fuselage.=A0 Its purpose is two-fold.=A0 Rightor leftthrust is designed in to help compensate for the torque and p-factorof apropeller driven aircraft.=A0 It is set to compensate for forces on t=heaircraft in cruise configuration.=A0 Often the it is combined with acoresponding offset of the vertical stabilizer.=A0 Down thrust is set= for asimilar reason, but specifically to counter pitching moment differenc=esbetween full power and idle conditions.=A0 Downthrust has a the effec=t ofhelping the prop disk to be more inline with the relative wind during= climb,and cruise for better prop efficiency.=A0=A0=A0Hope this helps.=A0STevee-----Original Message-----f Sanford"Sandy" LoveSent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: Downward slant to engineCan anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to the e=ngine?Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? What would hap=pen ifthe engine was mounted along the thrust line?=A0Any help would be appreciated.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Downward slant to engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> steve(at)byu.edu
How Does One go about figuring this out with a different engine- I amusing a corvair- and naturally I want this to be absolutely right thefirst time!paris---steve(at)byu.edu wrote:>> Yes,=A0 The plans show the model A with an inch or so of downthrust=.=A0Not sure> what degree it turns out to be, but that is why it is there.=A0Without it you> can expect poorer climb performance and a larger degree of nose dro=pas> power is reduced to idle.>> Stevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 8:13 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Downward slant to engine>>> Is it needed on the Piet? Will there be a problem if I don't have i=t?>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Not sure how to figure it, but I know that it is usually between 1 an=d 3degrees. If you need to you can always shim the mount to engine atta=chbolts with large washers.Stevee-----Original Message-----fParis WilcoxSent: Tuesday, August 18, 1998 7:08 PMSubject: Pietenpol-List: RE: Downward slant to engineHow Does One go about figuring this out with a different engine- I amusing a corvair- and naturally I want this to be absolutely right thefirst time!paris---steve(at)byu.edu wrote:>> Yes,=A0 The plans show the model A with an inch or so of downthrust=.=A0Not sure> what degree it turns out to be, but that is why it is there.=A0Without it you> can expect poorer climb performance and a larger degree of nose dro=pas> power is reduced to idle.>> Stevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 8:13 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Downward slant to engine>>> Is it needed on the Piet? Will there be a problem if I don't have i=t?>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

My corvair engine mount drawing shows 1 inch downthrust. Doug=46rom: Paris Wilcox Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: Downward slant to engineDate: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 1:07 AMHow Does One go about figuring this out with a different engine- I amusing a corvair- and naturally I want this to be absolutely right thefirst time!paris---steve(at)byu.edu wrote:>> Yes,=A0 The plans show the model A with an inch or so of downthrust=.=A0Not sure> what degree it turns out to be, but that is why it is there.=A0Without it you> can expect poorer climb performance and a larger degree of nose dro=pas> power is reduced to idle.>> Stevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 8:13 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: Downward slant to engine>>> Is it needed on the Piet? Will there be a problem if I don't have i=t?>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Downward slant to engine

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: PTNPOL(at)aol.com
> Subject: RE: Downward slant to engine>>> The nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and iscalled> "downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees ofright or> left thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinal centerline(vertical> and horizontal)of the fuselage.=A0 Its purpose is two-fold.=A0 Righ=t orleft> thrust is designed in to help compensate for the torque and p-facto=rof a> propeller driven aircraft.=A0 It is set to compensate for forces on= the> aircraft in cruise configuration.=A0 Often the it is combined witha> coresponding offset of the vertical stabilizer.=A0 Down thrust is s=etfor a> similar reason, but specifically to counter pitching momentdifferences> between full power and idle conditions.=A0 Downthrust has a the eff=ectof> helping the prop disk to be more inline with the relative windduring climb,> and cruise for better prop efficiency.=A0>>> Hope this helps.>> STevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> "Sandy" Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Downward slant to engine>>> Can anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to theengine?> Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? What wouldhappen if> the engine was mounted along the thrust line?>> Any help would be appreciated.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
> Subject: RE: Downward slant to engine>>> The nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and iscalled> "downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees ofright or> left thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinal centerline(vertical> and horizontal)of the fuselage.=A0 Its purpose is two-fold.=A0 Righ=t orleft> thrust is designed in to help compensate for the torque and p-facto=rof a> propeller driven aircraft.=A0 It is set to compensate for forces on= the> aircraft in cruise configuration.=A0 Often the it is combined witha> coresponding offset of the vertical stabilizer.=A0 Down thrust is s=etfor a> similar reason, but specifically to counter pitching momentdifferences> between full power and idle conditions.=A0 Downthrust has a the eff=ectof> helping the prop disk to be more inline with the relative windduring climb,> and cruise for better prop efficiency.=A0>>> Hope this helps.>> STevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> "Sandy" Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Downward slant to engine>>> Can anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to theengine?> Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? What wouldhappen if> the engine was mounted along the thrust line?>> Any help would be appreciated.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
> Subject: RE: Downward slant to engine>>> The nose down position of the engine is built in on purpose and iscalled> "downthrust", and is usually combined with a couple of degrees ofright or> left thrust measured in degrees from the longitudinal centerline(vertical> and horizontal)of the fuselage.=A0 Its purpose is two-fold.=A0 Righ=t orleft> thrust is designed in to help compensate for the torque and p-facto=rof a> propeller driven aircraft.=A0 It is set to compensate for forces on= the> aircraft in cruise configuration.=A0 Often the it is combined witha> coresponding offset of the vertical stabilizer.=A0 Down thrust is s=etfor a> similar reason, but specifically to counter pitching momentdifferences> between full power and idle conditions.=A0 Downthrust has a the eff=ectof> helping the prop disk to be more inline with the relative windduring climb,> and cruise for better prop efficiency.=A0>>> Hope this helps.>> STevee>> -----Original Message-----fSanford> "Sandy" Love> Sent: Monday, August 17, 1998 6:19 AM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Downward slant to engine>>> Can anyone tell me why there is a downward (nose down) slant to theengine?> Is it needed for a conventional 4 cly aircraft engine? What wouldhappen if> the engine was mounted along the thrust line?>> Any help would be appreciated.>>________________________________________________________________________________