Pietenpol-List: Corvair Fishing

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Corvair Fishing>To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,>My current Stats:>Engine static = 2600 RPM>@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM>aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.>Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.>Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.>My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like itis>underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.circuit>altitude above the ground was slow.>timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired in one>position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right now.>The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.>Propeller: Home made 66X32>This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to the>intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM>difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.>Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.>I'M next going to illiminate Timing.>>So here are the questions:>>What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum advance>Plate?>Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960 model>year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same tension>rating.>Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.>In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?>What timing was it set at idle?>What should it be at full throttle/static?>Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?>What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?>I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.>Stuck with "aircraft on ground",>Domenic>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Corvair Fishing>To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,>My current Stats:>Engine static = 2600 RPM>@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM>aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.>Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.>Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.>My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like itis>underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.circuit>altitude above the ground was slow.>timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired in one>position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right now.>The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.>Propeller: Home made 66X32>This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to the>intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM>difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.>Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.>I'M next going to illiminate Timing.>>So here are the questions:>>What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum advance>Plate?>Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960 model>year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same tension>rating.>Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.>In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?>What timing was it set at idle?>What should it be at full throttle/static?>Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?>What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?>I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.>Stuck with "aircraft on ground",>Domenic>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David C. Matthews"
To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,My current Stats:Engine static = 2600 RPM@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPMaircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like it isunderpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft. circuitaltitude above the ground was slow.timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired in oneposition. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right now.The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.Propeller: Home made 66X32This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to theintake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPMdifference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.I'M next going to illiminate Timing.So here are the questions:What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum advancePlate?Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960 modelyear, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same tensionrating.Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?What timing was it set at idle?What should it be at full throttle/static?Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.Stuck with "aircraft on ground",Domenic________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
Domenic You could set the timing plate in a locked position so that the vacuumadvance is inoperative the vac advance is only used on cars at part throttlefor economy cruising at a lean mixture. The static timing (retarded) shouldbe as the corvair to ensure easy starting. The springs need to be onlystrong enough to return it to statc timing at low power settings. The maxadvance can be limited or changed by the pins or slots that the weights movein.( alittle welding a little filing) If you can find advance curve diagramsfor a corvair at peak torque speed set the max for that. The timing won'tneed to change once you have it started and the throttle set for enoughpower to keep it in the air. Aircraft mags dont have advance curves just animpulse on one mag for starting.John Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Domenic, I appreciate the info. As I am just starting on the Corvair,and trying to get the rebuild manual from William Wynne (as you probablyhave seen), van you recommend another Corvair manual, or source? My unithas twin carbs, one on each intake manifold, so I am assuming that iwill have to make up a carb mount and splitter feed header to connect. Ithink this is the piece that split that you were referring to. My blocknumber is T0429RH which I make as 1967 april 29 for manufacture.I have removed the transmission cover and the crank and cam gears haveabsolutely no indications of any wear on them, yet the amount of oila ndgrease on the outside (including a petrified mouse under the belt end)indicates that it has not been overhauled previously. With the plugsout, and a squirt of oil in each cylinder, the motor turns over by handeasily (using the fan belt to pull on). I have not checked thecompression as I have to strip the unit to get at the crank forthreading.All in all, a very interesting motor!I guess if I can't contact Mr. Wynne, i will go with another rebuildmanual. Any suggestions out there? I have the Corvair Undergroundcatelogue coming, but would appreciate any commentsfrom those of youthat have gone through it.Thanks,-=Ian=-________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: DonanClara(at)aol.com
Domenic, it sounds like you should revisit the rigging. I rememberreading somewhere that the issue you are describing is corrected byshimming the horizontal stab, but I don't remember how much. Might beworth while talking to an airframe guy. If I can remember where I sawit, i will pass it on.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> John McNarry
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair Fishing>Downloaded Domenic's photo's. Beautiful work! I intend on going a much>simpler route with the prop hub bolted to the crank like DHP used. I am>pretty sure I'll stay with the original ignition and carbs. How easy is it>to hand prop a corvair? With the small cylinders I would think it would be>easier than the A Ford. I got the GM corvair manual and found I will need>to have the crank ground 10 thou. The journals average 1 thou under>allowable and I'd like the bearings in good shape.> Long way from it but am thinking about building the wings as per the plans>with the spars spliced over the cockpit. However I think I will modify>slightly and cover each wing separately with another cover over the>joint/fuel tank area. The wing won't fit in my garage in one piece and I>don't think I'll have to take it apart much once it is flying.> Just laying up the second fuse side. I would like to put the ply skin on>both sides of the fuse before I join them together. Is this a good idea or>should I skin the second side after all controls, seats etc. are in?>Wayne Sippola>Winnipeg>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> John McNarry
Downloaded Domenic's photo's. Beautiful work! I intend on going a muchsimpler route with the prop hub bolted to the crank like DHP used. I ampretty sure I'll stay with the original ignition and carbs. How easy is itto hand prop a corvair? With the small cylinders I would think it would beeasier than the A Ford. I got the GM corvair manual and found I will needto have the crank ground 10 thou. The journals average 1 thou underallowable and I'd like the bearings in good shape. Long way from it but am thinking about building the wings as per the planswith the spars spliced over the cockpit. However I think I will modifyslightly and cover each wing separately with another cover over thejoint/fuel tank area. The wing won't fit in my garage in one piece and Idon't think I'll have to take it apart much once it is flying. Just laying up the second fuse side. I would like to put the ply skinonboth sides of the fuse before I join them together. Is this a good idea orshould I skin the second side after all controls, seats etc. are in?Wayne SippolaWinnipeg
matronics

Pietenpol-List: FW: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: wayne
Wayne,My prop.shaft/Hub is also bolted to the crank using the original 6 boltpattern, but not on a threaded crank. I left it as it was. The shaft issupported by a dual angular bearing ( made by G.M.- New Departure). TheShaft is stepped so that it rests on the inside race.This is easier thanthreading the crank. I then brought forward an oil line the spray thebearings. I had the end and bell housings cast ($100.). I made the Kaplerdesigned 3 piece wing. If you ever need to take it apart, away from yourhome airport it would help you tremendously. I closed my fuselage side atthe very last moment. Even after I closed it, I found it difficult to workinside. Another friend left the firewall off untill the last moment. Theignition is original except I installed a second coil (switched if needed)for redundency.Regards,Domenic/ Toronto ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dean dayton
Hi Ian,Before going any farther with your Corvair engine, I strongly recommend that you consult two books. The first is "How to Hot-Rod Corvair Engines" by Bill Fisher, the second is "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive" by Richard Finch. Both books are invaluable resourches of tips and tricks for rebuilding, modifying, and maintaining these engines. Both books also discuss their use in aircraft. In fact, in the latest edition, Finch even talks about the installation of a Corvair engine in his Cessna before selling it for use in a Piet. If I recall correctly, his engine had a PSRU built by Bud Rinker.Here's some advice I received when searching for rebuild assistance from a lifetime GM mechanic-sage who shares his love of Corvairs on a few different internet platforms:>ABSOLUTELY- you MUST get a copy of Bill Fisher's excellent book, "How To>HotRod Corvair Engines"- it was originally published by HP books in 1964?>and has been revised and updated many times since then, Clarks Corvair>Parts currently holds copyright on it, and sells it- it may also be>available other places. Read it carefully, its the best book I have ever>read hands down on automobile engines of any type.Theres some aspects in>the book that must be taken with a grain of salt, as it was written when>parts were still cheap and plentiful, but theres more information in there>than you'll believe.You also need to get both the Clarks catalog and the Corvair Underground catalog. I learned a lot from them.I, too, am waiting for the resurrection of William Wynne.--Peter________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jmcnarry(at)techplus.com
I've located a shop that has an after market distributer kit. It includesheavier weights and three sets of springs, Light medium, heavy for thecorvair distributer. They could not tell me which of the sets would open tofull advance @ 2000 RPM. Does anbody know what tension of spring should beused for this application? The specs I've found in al the corvair literatureare all the same.Domenic ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: wayne
This is a note about the fuse skin....this is the second wooden plane that Iput the skin on the fuse while it was flat ( just assuming that was the wayto go) , but anyway, just remembered that when I tried to get the rear seatin( the part you sit on,) it wouldn't go in the fuse. This is the longfuselage for the A65, and I built the seat complete , less the top. When Iwent to put the top in, it wouldn't go. Had to shave and scrape and bend toget it in. This was made exactly to the print. And while thinking of it, when putting the control tube assembly in thebottom of the fuse, it was too long and had to cut an access notch in theback seat to clear the tube.Anyone else have this problem?walt-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Thanks, Peter. I appreciate the info, and will see what I can do to getthem.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Domenic: Do you have a variable speed drill? The distributor would be turning at1000 rpm at 2000 crankshaft rpm. You might be able to cobble up adistributor test device using a drill to drive it and a strobe type timinglight to measure the advance and rpm. You would also need a degree wheel. Isaw that somone else posted the advance degrees you need. Better yet wouldbe to find someone with a distributor test bench. They aren't so common nowthat most vehicles have gone to electronic ignition. Don't overlook bushingwear and breaker point spring tension.John Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Walt, I put the notch in the back of the seat as per the plans. The backtorque tube brace is mounted to the cross brace as per the plans.I had some input from the group early on, and framed the fuselage Twosides and cross braces, then put the seat together piece by piece. Itwas tight, but no problem.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ian,I can't remember if I answered your questions...so here it goes again.I too have the same series engine (T0219RH). I chose to use an aircraftcarb. rather than the originals. I think they would be too cool hanging outthere in the wind. , but then that depends on how you cowl them in. My carbis mounted under the engine hanging on a 1/8th plate alum. bolted to 4 ofthe oil pan bolts. I have a welded tube(2") coming off the top end of thecarb (90 degrees) then it procedes back just past the pulley with another(90 degree) bend with a short extention to the 1 1/2 " 'Y' split. therunners after the split are made of electrical thin wall tube conduit with anice gentle 90 degree bend. These are terminated at the intake boss wherethe old carbs were mounted. The reason I mounted the carb under the engineis the same reason all aircraft carbs are mounted underneath... to preventfuel fires. This way any excess fuel can run off through the air box.I'm going to sort out my timing problem this week-end. My gear leg ispainted and will also be mounted this week-end.Regards,Domenic ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC"
BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC wrote:> > To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,> My current Stats:> Engine static = 2600 RPM> @ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM> aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.> Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.> Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.> My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like it is> underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft. circuit> altitude above the ground was slow.> timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired in one> position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right now.> The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.> Propeller: Home made 66X32> This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to the> intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM> difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.> Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.> I'M next going to illiminate Timing.> > So here are the questions:> > What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum advance> Plate?> Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960 model> year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same tension> rating.> Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.> In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?> What timing was it set at idle?> What should it be at full throttle/static?> Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?> What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?> I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.> Stuck with "aircraft on ground",> DomenicHi Domenic I am confused with something. you say that the prop is a 66x32 and youspin it at2600 rpm. My C-65 spins a 72-42 at 2250 rpm static. If my mathis any good you are running less than 65 hp. any one else out there havean idea on this one.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wayne and Kathy
To Wayne and Cathy,Hello, Our engines are completely different. You can spin a larger propellerat a lower RPM because of your torque curve. You have a longer stroke enginewith a much larger sized piston. My stroke is short with a much smallerpiston, therefore my engine requires higher RPM to develop similar H.P. Alsosince it spins higher, the prop. diameter must be kept to a certain max.diameter (calc. by formula) to keep the prop. tips from going supersonic. Iwould like to see 2900-3000 RPM at full throttle. This is still well belowthe sonic speeds (Approx. 3500 RPM). I'll be changing the centrificalsprings in the distributer this week-end, and re-time the engine to 35degrees.Hope this helps your understanding,Domenic ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: FW: FW: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Ian,I did not retain the fan. It's pretty cool here in Canada most of the time.With the oil cooler I reached only 165 degrees.I settled on a Stomberg Carb. MA3 I think?? came off an 85 continental.dom. ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: FW: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Domenic, thanks for the info. I was figuring that I would do somethingsimilar (for the same reasons)I can't see the carbs sitting exposed. Didyou retain the Corvair fan? What carburators did you look at, and whatdid you settle on?Sure glad I'm not breaking new ground on this sort of application. Ihave a rebuild book on order and another on back order so hopefully willhave some ideas in them.thanks again,-=Ian=-________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
> > Domenic> You could set the timing plate in a locked position so that thevacuum> advance is inoperative the vac advance is only used on cars at partthrottle> for economy cruising at a lean mixture. The static timing (retarded)should> be as the corvair to ensure easy starting. The springs need to be only> strong enough to return it to statc timing at low power settings. The max> advance can be limited or changed by the pins or slots that the weightsmove> in.( alittle welding a little filing) If you can find advance curvediagrams> for a corvair at peak torque speed set the max for that. The timing won't> need to change once you have it started and the throttle set for enough> power to keep it in the air. Aircraft mags dont have advance curves justan> impulse on one mag for starting.> John Mc> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Bell
> Subject: Corvair Fishing> > > >To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,> >My current Stats:> >Engine static = 2600 RPM> >@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM> >aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.> >Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.> >Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.> >My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude likeit> is> >underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.> circuit> >altitude above the ground was slow.> >timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired inone> >position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off rightnow.> >The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.> >Propeller: Home made 66X32> >This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners tothe> >intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM> >difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.> >Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.> >I'M next going to illiminate Timing.> >> >So here are the questions:> >> >What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuumadvance> >Plate?> >Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960model> >year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the sametension> >rating.> >Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.> >In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?> >What timing was it set at idle?> >What should it be at full throttle/static?> >Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?> >What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?> >I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.> >Stuck with "aircraft on ground",> >Domenic> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> John McNarry
Downloaded Domenic's photo's. Beautiful work! I intend on going a muchsimpler route with the prop hub bolted to the crank like DHP used. I ampretty sure I'll stay with the original ignition and carbs. How easy is itto hand prop a corvair? With the small cylinders I would think it would beeasier than the A Ford. I got the GM corvair manual and found I will needto have the crank ground 10 thou. The journals average 1 thou underallowable and I'd like the bearings in good shape. Long way from it but am thinking about building the wings as per theplanswith the spars spliced over the cockpit. However I think I will modifyslightly and cover each wing separately with another cover over thejoint/fuel tank area. The wing won't fit in my garage in one piece and Idon't think I'll have to take it apart much once it is flying. Just laying up the second fuse side. I would like to put the plyskin onboth sides of the fuse before I join them together. Is this a good idea orshould I skin the second side after all controls, seats etc. are in?Wayne SippolaWinnipeg ----------
matronics

> Re: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
>> Domenic> You could set the timing plate in a locked position so that thevacuum> advance is inoperative the vac advance is only used on cars at partthrottle> for economy cruising at a lean mixture. The static timing (retarded)should> be as the corvair to ensure easy starting. The springs need to be only> strong enough to return it to statc timing at low power settings. The max> advance can be limited or changed by the pins or slots that the weightsmove> in.( alittle welding a little filing) If you can find advance curvediagrams> for a corvair at peak torque speed set the max for that. The timing won't> need to change once you have it started and the throttle set for enough> power to keep it in the air. Aircraft mags dont have advance curves justan> impulse on one mag for starting.> John Mc> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

> Subject: Corvair Fishing>>> >To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,> >My current Stats:> >Engine static = 2600 RPM> >@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM> >aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.> >Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.> >Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.> >My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude likeit> is> >underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.> circuit> >altitude above the ground was slow.> >timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired inone> >position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off rightnow.> >The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.> >Propeller: Home made 66X32> >This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners tothe> >intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM> >difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.> >Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.> >I'M next going to illiminate Timing.> >> >So here are the questions:> >> >What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuumadvance> >Plate?> >Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960model> >year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the sametension> >rating.> >Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.> >In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?> >What timing was it set at idle?> >What should it be at full throttle/static?> >Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?> >What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?> >I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.> >Stuck with "aircraft on ground",> >Domenic> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Domenic You could set the timing plate in a locked position so that the vacuumadvance is inoperative the vac advance is only used on cars at part throttlefor economy cruising at a lean mixture. The static timing (retarded) shouldbe as the corvair to ensure easy starting. The springs need to be onlystrong enough to return it to statc timing at low power settings. The maxadvance can be limited or changed by the pins or slots that the weights movein.( alittle welding a little filing) If you can find advance curve diagramsfor a corvair at peak torque speed set the max for that. The timing won'tneed to change once you have it started and the throttle set for enoughpower to keep it in the air. Aircraft mags dont have advance curves just animpulse on one mag for starting.John Mc -----Original Message-----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC
>>>> Domenic>> You could set the timing plate in a locked position so that the>vacuum>> advance is inoperative the vac advance is only used on cars at part>throttle>> for economy cruising at a lean mixture. The static timing (retarded)>should>> be as the corvair to ensure easy starting. The springs need to be only>> strong enough to return it to statc timing at low power settings. The max>> advance can be limited or changed by the pins or slots that the weights>move>> in.( alittle welding a little filing) If you can find advance curve>diagrams>> for a corvair at peak torque speed set the max for that. The timing won't>> need to change once you have it started and the throttle set for enough>> power to keep it in the air. Aircraft mags dont have advance curves just>an>> impulse on one mag for starting.>> John Mc>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

>> Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
>> Subject: Corvair Fishing>>>>>> >To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,>> >My current Stats:>> >Engine static = 2600 RPM>> >@ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM>> >aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.>> >Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.>> >Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.>> >My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like>it>> is>> >underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.>> circuit>> >altitude above the ground was slow.>> >timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired in>one>> >position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right>now.>> >The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.>> >Propeller: Home made 66X32>> >This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to>the>> >intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM>> >difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.>> >Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.>> >I'M next going to illiminate Timing.>> >>> >So here are the questions:>> >>> >What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum>advance>> >Plate?>> >Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960>model>> >year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same>tension>> >rating.>> >Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.>> >In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?>> >What timing was it set at idle?>> >What should it be at full throttle/static?>> >Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?>> >What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?>> >I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.>> >Stuck with "aircraft on ground",>> >Domenic>> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jmcnarry(at)techplus.com (John McNarry)
Domenic, I appreciate the info. As I am just starting on the Corvair,and trying to get the rebuild manual from William Wynne (as you probablyhave seen), van you recommend another Corvair manual, or source? My unithas twin carbs, one on each intake manifold, so I am assuming that iwill have to make up a carb mount and splitter feed header to connect. Ithink this is the piece that split that you were referring to. My blocknumber is T0429RH which I make as 1967 april 29 for manufacture.I have removed the transmission cover and the crank and cam gears haveabsolutely no indications of any wear on them, yet the amount of oila ndgrease on the outside (including a petrified mouse under the belt end)indicates that it has not been overhauled previously. With the plugsout, and a squirt of oil in each cylinder, the motor turns over by handeasily (using the fan belt to pull on). I have not checked thecompression as I have to strip the unit to get at the crank forthreading.All in all, a very interesting motor!I guess if I can't contact Mr. Wynne, i will go with another rebuildmanual. Any suggestions out there? I have the Corvair Undergroundcatelogue coming, but would appreciate any commentsfrom those of youthat have gone through it.Thanks, -=Ian=-________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC wrote:>> To All Flying Corvair Piet. owners,> My current Stats:> Engine static = 2600 RPM> @ Full throttle in Cruise + 2600 RPM> aircraft weight and balance is well within the envelope.> Aircraft empty weight = 807 Lbs.> Aircraft engine feels like it is flying with a governor on it.> My Problem: It flies slightly tail low or in a nose high attitude like itis> underpowered, or you were flying in slow flight. My clinb to 800 ft.circuit> altitude above the ground was slow.> timing: currently set for 14 deg. BTDC with the vacumm advance wired inone> position. But I don't know which posion is full on or full off right now.> The engine starts easy. I have a starter installed.> Propeller: Home made 66X32> This week-end the intake including the 'Y' split before the runners to the> intake boss was replaced. The result was ...no change. Not even 1 RPM> difference. There could only be 1 of four problems or a combination. 1.> Fuel 2. intake system 3. Propeller 4. Timing.> I'M next going to illiminate Timing.>> So here are the questions:>> What did y'all do to the distributer, ie weights, springs, vacuum advance> Plate?> Some of the literature I've read said to change the springs to 1960 model> year, but when I looked up the specs... they were exactly the same tension> rating.> Should the weights be welded to full advance or otherwise.> In what position did you lock the vacuum advance?> What timing was it set at idle?> What should it be at full throttle/static?> Should I expect any improvement with timing changes?> What RPM are y' all achieving and with what prop. pitch?> I would appreciate your knowledgable response as soon as posible.> Stuck with "aircraft on ground",> DomenicHi Domenic I am confused with something. you say that the prop is a 66x32 and youspin it at2600 rpm. My C-65 spins a 72-42 at 2250 rpm static. If my mathis any good you are running less than 65 hp. any one else out there havean idea on this one.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: FW: Corvair Fishing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ed0248(at)aol.com
Domenic, thanks for the info. I was figuring that I would do somethingsimilar (for the same reasons)I can't see the carbs sitting exposed. Didyou retain the Corvair fan? What carburators did you look at, and whatdid you settle on?Sure glad I'm not breaking new ground on this sort of application. Ihave a rebuild book on order and another on back order so hopefully willhave some ideas in them.thanks again, -=Ian=-________________________________________________________________________________