Pietenpol-List: Re: HELP! -frustrated

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Creative Ice
Hey guys, I have my extended fuselage done and I am trying to start on the main landing gear.I am also going with the corvair. I am having problems in the gear placement. Steve Erecommended moving the gear forward 2.5 inches. Today I started building the jig for the " V " and ran into problems. My questions are: Do I change the geometry of the " V " to move the gear forward or do I shift the " V " forward on the fuselage itself making different attachment fittings than the plans call for? Is 2.5 inches the correct adjustment forward for the extended fuse with the corvairon split axle gear? I would greatly appreciate some advice. I am stuck from making progress:-( ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
The best way to determine gear placement is to first estimate CG location bothlaterally and vertically. The point of contact with the tire and ground when theairplane is level should be no less than 12 degrees ahead and no more than 20degrees ahead of the CG. Within these 8 degrees, consider the amount of brakingaction, more brakes, move closer to the 20 degrees. Since the Piet doesn't govery fast, braking action shouldn't be a major issue. I've flown several Pietswithout brakes and haven't had problems (with stopping or directional control aslong as the steering springs stay connected).PTNPOL(at)aol.com wrote:> Hey guys,> I have my extended fuselage done and I am trying to start on the main> landing gear.> I am also going with the corvair. I am having problems in the gear> placement. Steve E> recommended moving the gear forward 2.5 inches. Today I started building the> jig for the> " V " and ran into problems.> My questions are:> Do I change the geometry of the " V " to move the gear forward or do I> shift the " V "> forward on the fuselage itself making different attachment fittings than the> plans call for?>> Is 2.5 inches the correct adjustment forward for the extended fuse> with the corvair> on split axle gear?>> I would greatly appreciate some advice. I am stuck from making> progress:-(>>--David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: FW: HELP! -frustrated

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: PTNPOL(at)aol.com
Hi Ron,BHP may not have had brakes on his model with differential braking, bothJack Watson and I do. If you don'tmove it forward you will end up on yournose, even when you do a run-up. I used streamline tubing which was evenmore difficult to shape. I just started to take material away with a lot oftrial fits untill it came together. You are correct the forward post isalmost straight up and down, maybe a little forward. Don't forget yourgussets like I did...you'll end up with a bent gear leg and waste more timewhich just gets you frustrated and sets you up for more heart break when yougeet a hole in the piston.Dom. ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
It sounds like you are frustrated also. Hopefully you will get theanswer.As far as the landing gear I went out to the garage and broke the Jigdown:-(andchanged the geometry to move the gear 7- 8 inches fwd and it looks like youwillnot be able to cut the angles where the " V" comes together per the planes.Themost fwd post of the V is almost straight up and down and maybe a littlefoward.How did you join the two post on the V together at the point where theymeet? In addition Bernard moved the j3 cub gear fwd 7" and he said it was a bit tofar fwd. What do you think about what he said? thankyou for the help, Ron________________________________________________________________________________