Pietenpol-List: Progress

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
I spent part of yesterday with a can of Brasso, my drill, a clothbuffing wheel, and my Piet radiator. It now shines like the top of myhead. KOOL!You Continental guys may have an edge in performance but you'll NEVERhave a polished brass radiator on your ship. :-)John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
No maybe not, but you will have your hat in a day or two. Good to talk toyou on the phone...Keep building!Steve EldredgeSteve(at)byu.eduGreenleeSent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 8:17 AMSubject: Pietenpol-List: ProgressI spent part of yesterday with a can of Brasso, my drill, a cloth buffingwheel, and my Piet radiator. It now shines like the top of my head. KOOL!You Continental guys may have an edge in performance but you'll NEVER have apolished brass radiator on your ship. :-)John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Just thought I'd post my progress: When Jack Phillips came up a few weeks ago=2C we finalized all of the assembly and rigging and I think Jack posted photos. We just did start glueing fabric. Since then=2C I have covered the one-piece wing and shrunk it. Today=2C I spent the whole day brushing on the first coat of nitrate dope. Needless to say=2C I am high as a kite right now!!! I have snapped chalk lines and pre-punched all of the rib stitching holes. Unfortunately=2C I am going away until next wednesday (have VIP tix to see the shuttle launch up close!)=2C so it will be next thursday before I can start rib stitching. Looking forward to re-learning that art!Just as a note=2C I am using the glider-weight ceconite fabric and Randolph dope for the finish. After seeing Dan Helsper's airplane and talking to him=2C I decided to use the Stewart System water-based glue. It really works fantastic! Sticks well and easily=2C no smell=2C easy clean up=2C VERY easy to work with. After I was done with the wing=2C I called Stuart and talked to them. I asked if anyone had used their glue with dope. I expected an objection=2C but they said "sure=2C lots of people=2C there is no problem with it=2C it works fine and the dope does not touch it (which I had already determined before I started)."I am hoping to get the wing stitched and taped before it gets too cold (first light freeze tonight)=2C and maybe get the fuselage covered and shrunk. The tail surfaces and ailerons I can do in my house this winter since the glue does not smell. Hopefully when it gets warm next spring I will be ready to spray everything.Gene RamboModel ACloudcars scimitar propshort fuselageJenny gearwire wheels (no brakes)one-piece wing (no flop)is that everything? ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
Jim, I'm assuming that you had a knee replaced. I had one replaced about 3 years ago and the day after the surgery I got deathly ill. I was flat on my back, unable to do any therapy exercises for about 9 weeks. I am paying the price now. I don't remember a day since the surgery that my knee hasn't hurt. And it's more stiff than it should be. Moral: do your therapy exercises regularly and strenously. It will pay off in the long run. Chuck ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: off topic queries

Post by matronics »

Everybody: Larry is home from his trip to Brodhead. Piet did great, Ford did great, Larry did great. All are glad to be home again!!Gary Bell: please email me off line re: teardrops.Rick Schreibner: please email me off line re: wood finishing.Thanks to you all for another wonderful reunion at Brodhead. Got to see all of you previous friends getting older and met some nice new friends. Adventures on the road are still to be had and the Piet is the perfect vehicle in which to have them. I was once again introduced to the real America and it's inhabitants. Kindnesses were extended to me from many sources as a matter of course. It's always nice to reconnect with good people and realize what a bogus outlook I get watching the TV. Ah-h-h-h, I am rejuvenated and it makes me feel good all over.Larry W.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:54:54 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "xTrainwrecKx"
What is the best firewall for computers to use at home and protect the kids?I need to install a good firewall system at home to protect the kids from all theinternet dangers. Which are the best ones? Are they free or do you have topay for them?--------who loves youRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
Mike,It is looking great! I really like the color and the wood finish. Just more inspirationfor me to get my butt home and start mine. Thanks buddy!Very respectfully,DerekRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Jake's gorgeous engine-turning aluminum firewall

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security ... fault.aspx , works forme.JackDSM-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "aerocarjake"
The J-3 and J-4 both originally had wooden spars and ribs. If you want an all metal airplane check out Wag-Aero for their plans/kits for cub like airplanes. There are several metal tube Piets oit there, but I havent heard of any metal wingsSent from my iPhoneOn Jul 31, 2011, at 11:00 AM, "letchik.ivan(at)gmail.com" wrote:> > I was wondering if anyone has built a Pietenpol Air Camper or Sky Scout with materials other than wood or less wood? I know that the Pietenpol was designed to make use of wood in its construction. There is also a supplemental plan drawn by Bernard Pietenpol which uses metal tubing to construct the fuselage. > > > > Has anyone built a Pietenpol using more metal than the original plans called for? For example using light metal tubing for the tail and stabilizer section, or perhaps aircraft grade aluminum for the wing ribs or spar, or maybe sheet aluminum on the leading edge of the wing or in place of plywood on the fuselage, or any other combination. Would the aircraft weigh more if constructed in the way I just described? Could a more powerful engine overcome the added weight of having used heavier construction materials? I know the L4 / J3 Piper Cub is built with all metal structural components covered with cloth skin and is powered by a 65 hp Continental engine, so I am wondering if similar construction technique could be used on a Pietenpol? > > > > Tom> > > ============================================================================================================================================> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
Wonderful plane on what looks like a wonderful afternoon....... now I need to quitreading Matronics and get back down to my shop. thanks for the inspiration...!--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 09:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
What a great way to spend Thanksgiving. BTW: the one piece wing was much lesscomplicated, though a bear to handle.Thanks to Gary Boothe for his advice on how to make the thing square. Thanks tothe very kind individual who gave me the ribs.We ran the engine two weeks ago at Corvair College 24, hosted by PF Beck and crewin South Carolina. Another kind and exceptionally generous individual gaveme huge chunks of an engine to make that event possible. Thanks to William Wynne& crew for their efforts prior to the college.Shelley & I are blessed.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/cent ... ______Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 00:06:18 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Kevin=3BNice work on the center section! Flying it inverted=2C I see =3Bo) Question: do you intend to put fuel in the center section=2C or will it just be a baggage locker?Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 PowerMedford=2C OR hangar T6 ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Progress

Post by matronics »

You (and Shelley) are testimony to perseverance! BTW...I had no idea if my advice would work...just the first thought thatpopped into my head. Gary Boothe (Pietenpol X-wing)NX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
il>Hi Jim - We dumped 11 gallons in and then 9.5 came out during the flow test.- At 6 gph that gives me 1:35 flight time.- I made the tank to the plans without considering the higher fuel consumption of my engine.16 gallons will give you more flight time than you want.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 4#389074le, List Admin.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Schreiber
Hi Jim - We dumped 11 gallons in and then 9.5 came out during the flow test.At 6 gph that gives me 1:35 flight time. I made the tank to the planswithout considering the higher fuel consumption of my engine.16 gallons will give you more flight time than you want.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ww.map;-M= - The Pietenpol-List Email Forum -http://forums.ma===================________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:19:51 -0600
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
Hi Jim - We dumped 11 gallons in and then 9.5 came out during the flow test. At6 gph that gives me 1:35 flight time. I made the tank to the plans withoutconsidering the higher fuel consumption of my engine.16 gallons will give you more flight time than you want.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress

Post by matronics »

"I wonder if our new wooden prop will windmill like the metal one does." You can bet it won't!!Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick
Did some more covering today. Jack TextorDes Moines, IA________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
Beautiful Jack. How do you like working with the Stewarts Covering System. Rick SchreiberValparaiso, INSent from my iPadOn Mar 10, 2013, at 6:33 PM, "Jack" wrote:> Did some more covering today> > > > >> > Jack Textor> > Des Moines, IA> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Jack,Looks good amigo!! This is the stage that is most satisfying. You are approaching the end. Brodhead 2014!Dan HelsperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Looks great, Jack! I did the same method around the control horns.Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Post by matronics »

Rick, honestly I don't know why anybody would use the "old" systems!Ducking and running!Jack Textor Des Moines, IA _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-li
Jack and all,The covering looks great! I will be attending the EEA Fabric covering workshop in Watsonville, Ca on March 23-24. I don't think they teach the Stewart's System, which I will use, but it should be a good introduction.Ray KrauseSky ScoutSent from my iPadOn Mar 10, 2013, at 5:26 PM, "Gary Boothe" wrote:> Looks great, Jack! I did the same method around the control horns> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB>
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs

Post by matronics »

A quick question as I am currently working on rib #20 and expect to be finishedwith wing ribs in the next couple of weeks.Instead of moving on to the wing spar, I plan on working on the tail feathers nextas I have the wood (thanks again to Dave Aldrich) for that. It may be a whilebefore I do the spars and attach the ribs. I know that I need to seal thewood at some point, and I thought I had read it was better to attach to the sparand then seal the wood so as to have a good glue seal between the ribs andthe spar.So my question is this - can I/should I seal the ribs, but not where the wood attachesto the spar, or just not worry about it for now? If I leave them unsealed,should I leave them in the house, as opposed to the unheated uncooled workshop?Thanks in advance for the answers.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Terry don't sweat it for now unless you plan to store them out in the elementsuncovered. I actually think its good for the wood to breath and continue the dryingprocess. I'm covering the tail currently. A couple of years ago I finishedthe tail and then varnished. Before covering I re-torqued the hinges. It tooka couple turns on the wrench to do so.Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Mar 11, 2013, at 5:30 PM, "jarheadpilot82" wrote:> > A quick question as I am currently working on rib #20 and expect to be finishedwith wing ribs in the next couple of weeks.> > Instead of moving on to the wing spar, I plan on working on the tail feathersnext as I have the wood (thanks again to Dave Aldrich) for that. It may be awhile before I do the spars and attach the ribs. I know that I need to seal thewood at some point, and I thought I had read it was better to attach to thespar and then seal the wood so as to have a good glue seal between the ribs andthe spar.> > So my question is this - can I/should I seal the ribs, but not where the woodattaches to the spar, or just not worry about it for now? If I leave them unsealed,should I leave them in the house, as opposed to the unheated uncooled workshop?> > Thanks in advance for the answers.> > --------> Semper Fi,> > Terry Hand> Athens, GA> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 047#396047> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs

Post by matronics »

Terry, I didn't glue my ribs to the spar at all. They are nailed throughthe capstrip but not glued. It is useful to be able to slide them slightlyleft or right to help clear the drag and anti-drag wires, and it is best tonot have them free to move slightly for trammeling the wing. Once the riblacing is in place they cannot move anyway.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mario Giacummo
Thanks, Jack(s). [Laughing] Both comments help a lot, and that is what I like best about the forum. Solid,logical advice based upon experience. Thanks again.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Almost Finished With Wing RibsHi,About gluing the ribs to the spars... I've glued them all, but I ask, It iscommon to leave them "free"?.. In the leading and trailng edge they have tobe glued, so....why not glue them over/down the spars? once they are gluedto the edges, you can not move them to anywhere.marioMario Giacummo. -..- .. ... - .. .-. / . ... / ..- -. / .... . -.-. .... --- --..-- /...- .. ...- .. .-. / . ... / ..- -. / .- .-. - .2013/3/12 Jack Phillips > jack(at)bedfordlandings.com>>> Terry, I didn't glue my ribs to the spar at all. They are nailed through> the capstrip but not glued. It is useful to be able to slide them slightly> left or right to help clear the drag and anti-drag wires, and it is best to> not have them free to move slightly for trammeling the wing. Once the rib> lacing is in place they cannot move anyway.>> Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mario Giacummo
Mario,I glued mine. I guess it is not necessary but it made me "feel" better.Dan HesperPuryear, TN-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "giacummo"
Me too--------Mario GiacummoPhotos here: http://goo.gl/wh7M4Little Blog : http://vgmk1.blogspot.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Almost Finished With Wing Ribs
matronics

Post by matronics »

Hi Guys,Just a couple of pictures to show the progress on the Piet rebuild. Photosshow a bit of a "before and after".Fuse is just about ready to cover. I just need to sort out a trim system andradio antenna.I have still to update the web site properly but more pictures of progresscan be found in the "Photographs" section.You may notice the different versions of the new instrument panel. Guess whoforgot the cabane strut bracing cable positions!!!CheersPeterWonthaggi Australiahttp://repiet.cpc-world.com________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Wow Peter what progress!Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Apr 15, 2013, at 6:24 AM, "Peter W Johnson" wrote:> Hi Guys,> > Just a couple of pictures to show the progress on the Piet rebuild. Photos show a bit of a "before and after".> > Fuse is just about ready to cover. I just need to sort out a trim system and radio antenna.> > I have still to update the web site properly but more pictures of progress can be found in the "Photographs" section.> > You may notice the different versions of the new instrument panel. Guess who forgot the cabane strut bracing cable positions!!!> > Cheers> > Peter> Wonthaggi Australia> http://repiet.cpc-world.com> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Kuhfahl
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bdewenter"
I (re)started the fuselage. Today, it started to look like a fuselage. I hope withina few days, it will look better. Yes, it is wide. Inside width is 600mm(about 24 inches).Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/img_ ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "oldbird"
Are you talking about the ash cross brace on the floor? If so, on the long fuselageit goes at the intersection of the two front diagonal braces which is 12inches behind the first vertical brace (firewall). The long fuselage plans showit correctly. This has the effect of pushing the firewall forward 2 inches.I centered the ash brace on the intersection of the two braces so I think thatwas 12 inches to the center of the board. Keep in mind the center to center spacingof the two ash crass braces needs to be the same width as the spread betweenthe wing strut and the lower center section fittings, which is the 28-3/4inches, because that is the distance between the center of the two spars.Chris--------ChrisSacramento, CAWestCoastPiet.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bdewenter"
Hello Mark,Glad to see you back. I thought that you were so busy building that you may havenot had time for the list. I figured you were about ready for your first flightabout now. :) Oh well, different kind of busy for you. Glad to see you'reback. Now go out and glue some of those sticks together. Welcome back. Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "M W Stanley"
OldBird,Very nice actually. I think the extra work and "girdring" around the cross memberwill add some extra strength in shear. Oh lord am I using advanced termsnow? I said shear...--------Bob 'Early Builder' DewenterDayton OHRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________