Pietenpol-List: Battery Box.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Battery Box.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Battery Box.>Ken- We hand prop.....:))))>>>Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen>poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this>purpose...not sure on the cost though.>>Mike C.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Battery Box.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: oil can
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Battery Box.>Good one Mike.>My input would be to give the battery a test flight.>Mark out a reduced pattern. Pick up the battery and carry it down the>runway, to the trees, turn right till you hit the bushes, now right again>and go all the way down parallel to the runway to the other end to the>bushes, right again, and right again when you are in line with the runway.>When you reach the numbers, put it down. Do you want to carry that in>flight?>walt>-----Original Message----->From: Michael D Cuy >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 6:20 PM>Subject: Re: Battery Box.>>>>Ken- We hand prop.....:))))>>>>>>Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen>>poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this>>purpose...not sure on the cost though.>>>>Mike C.>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Joe Krzes
The plans for the Christavia show the battery on the firewall. However,that will put the CG too far forward. So, it's going behind the rear seat.That means that I'll need to build a battery bbox to store it in. I'mthinking of building it out of 1/4" ply with fiberglass inside and out.The question is simple: How resistant is West System resign to batteryacid? Is there a good coating that I could use in the box to seal it inthe case of a leak? What do you Piet guys do?Thanks,Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Ken- We hand prop.....:))))Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seenpoly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for thispurpose...not sure on the cost though. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: GREA738(at)aol.com
ASS was my first idea as well, but they are not cheap at over $100 USD.IT'S JUST A PLASTIC BOX!!! I just wouldn't feel right paying that sort ofmoney for a BOX! Especially when I can build it with scrap material leftin the shop and about 2-4 hours work. Thanks,KenOn Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Michael D Cuy wrote:> Ken- We hand prop.....:))))> > > Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen> poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this> purpose...not sure on the cost though. > > Mike C. > Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: vistin(at)juno.com
Ken;Try a Marine supply house or ...those boat people have some very interesting stuff..Steve________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Hubert Diks
Ken, what is a battery box? What would we do with a battery? We hand propeverything.Copinfo(at)ix.Netcom.ComTim CunninghamDes Moines, Iowa (515) 237-1510>The plans for the Christavia show the battery on the firewall. However,>that will put the CG too far forward. So, it's going behind the rear seat.>That means that I'll need to build a battery bbox to store it in. I'm>thinking of building it out of 1/4" ply with fiberglass inside and out.>The question is simple: How resistant is West System resign to battery>acid? Is there a good coating that I could use in the box to seal it in>the case of a leak? What do you Piet guys do?>>Thanks,>>Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>Calgary, Alberta, Canada>Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Good one Mike.My input would be to give the battery a test flight.Mark out a reduced pattern. Pick up the battery and carry it down therunway, to the trees, turn right till you hit the bushes, now right againand go all the way down parallel to the runway to the other end to thebushes, right again, and right again when you are in line with the runway.When you reach the numbers, put it down. Do you want to carry that inflight?walt-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: walter evans
I liked this reply so much I had to say something!Ken, Go down to your automotive paint supply store and tell them you want anacid proof paint. I haven't got the name here, but we used some for thebattery box on the CATPM's Mk11 Harvard. We have an STC to build a steelbattery box that takes a modern light battery instead of the monsteroriginal military style. The box is vented and drained and so far corrosionhas not been a problem.It takes very liitle current to run an ignition primary. Many motorcyclesused to do it with a small alternator rectifier and capacitor system. ButHey, that is not very far away from what a mag really is. A good mag, or two, and a battery powered hand held should provide all theelectrics a Piet should ever need. Keep it simple!I sure hope they don't try to force us to encoding altimeters and the restof that High altitude High priced stuff in our fun little rag wings.John Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael King
Ken,Are you building a second Christavia? Check out new battery technology.You can get much smaller batteries these days that don't outgas or leak. Allof my electrical stuff is at home and I'm 500 miles away at work, but check outsome of the on-line electric and battery sites. You are going to have a lotof feet of very heavy #2 wire otherwise.Mike BellColumbia, SCMaiser(at)adena.byu.edu on 09/22/99 06:03:41 PMPlease respond to piet(at)byu.edu @ INTERNETcc:Subject: Pietenpol-List: Battery Box.The plans for the Christavia show the battery on the firewall. However,that will put the CG too far forward. So, it's going behind the rear seat.That means that I'll need to build a battery bbox to store it in. I'mthinking of building it out of 1/4" ply with fiberglass inside and out.The question is simple: How resistant is West System resign to batteryacid? Is there a good coating that I could use in the box to seal it inthe case of a leak? What do you Piet guys do?Thanks,Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael D Cuy
OK, let's not get nasty. I had a friend back in university days that losthis foot while hand propping a Chief. He had owned the plane for years andflew it regularly. His girlfriend was in the plane and on the brakes atthe time. When he pulled the prop through, he lost his footing on some iceand ended up slipping down and sort of under the prop. His leg naturallycame up and was caught by the prop. There was a lot of blood and itsprayed onto the windscreen where his girlfriend was. Somehow, the planewas damaged, but I can't remember how. In any case, I became ratherreluctant to go for a non electric plane. Besides, have you ever triedhand propping on floats? It's hard enough to stand on the floats at thebest of times. If you had a heavy wind, you'd have to let the ropes go andtry to hand start while drifting back down the pond. If it didn't start,you could easily end up on the rocks. With electric start, I generallyuntie the plane as I head in the cabin. I hold onto the rope until theplane starts and idles and then toss the rope out the door and clear ofthe plane. Even that sometimes requires a third hand ;-).Ken.On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, walter evans wrote:> Good one Mike.> My input would be to give the battery a test flight.> Mark out a reduced pattern. Pick up the battery and carry it down the> runway, to the trees, turn right till you hit the bushes, now right again> and go all the way down parallel to the runway to the other end to the> bushes, right again, and right again when you are in line with the runway.> When you reach the numbers, put it down. Do you want to carry that in> flight?> walt> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Ken,I have made battery boxes for boats from epoxy and polyester. Both workfine.Ted B----- Original Message -----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: CG and Trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
Mike,One of the things that my PartPiet has is a trim tab. Around the patch Inever use it. But, when on a long (anything over 10 miles...) cross countryit is essential when you want to TRY to refold that chart, take a picture,pick your nose, etc.Ted BNaples, FL/GN-1----- Original Message -----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> > Michael D Cuy
The Aeronca Defender I used to work on a few years ago belonged to mymain "pride and joy" customer. The reason I worked on it so much andbecame so familiar with its structure is that he wrecked it three timesin four years! The last wreck was bad and totaled the airplane. Hisengine failed on take off, this after I told him and told him thatsomething had to be done with that engine. I did not do the last annual. The second wreck was due to his hand propping the plane. He had ownedit for years and was very familiar with starting the engine, but on thisparticular day he flooded the engine. Following the normal procedure, heturned off the switch and began pulling the prop through several times toclear the engine. Now fate enters in. He gets a phone call up at thehouse and he goes to answer it, talking for some twenty minutes. Back tothe plane he goes, forgets that the throttle is wide open, turns on theswitch, and props it. The engine started on the first pull and race tofull power. How he got out of the way, I'll never know. As the Defenderwent by, he grabbed the tail and the airplane began to drag him all overhis field. Two of his neighbors saw his predicament and came to theresque, all three hanging onto the tail as this little Defender drug themall around the field for about twenty minutes. Finally the owner decidedsomeone was going to get hurt (there were several opportunities) and theylet it go. As the plane started to lift off and become an unguidedmissile, it ran into a group of live oak trees, the right wing (the one Ihad just recovered eight months before after the first wreck) hitting andbending a strut but stopping the airplane.John Langstonwrites:>Yes I was trying to start a 7AC at farmers pride airport just north>of Lebanon Pa. It was a cold day and It just would not start>so I thought I could get away with cracking the throttle 1/16''>and hand propping. It worked the plane started right up but>began to crawl forward I thought no problem I'll step to the side>that the door's on and grab the plane by the strut and it'll stop.> Have you ever squared danced with an Aronaca>Champ, the plane went in circles> I was able to jump inside and stop it>but from that day on I tied>the plane to my pickup with a rope.>>Russell>>>----- Original Message ----->>>From: Ken Beanlands >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Sent: Thursday, September 23, 1999 12:04 PM>Subject: Re: Battery Box.>>>> OK, let's not get nasty. I had a friend back in university days that >lost>> his foot while hand propping a Chief. He had owned the plane for >years and>> flew it regularly. His girlfriend was in the plane and on the brakes >at>> the time. When he pulled the prop through, he lost his footing on >some ice>> and ended up slipping down and sort of under the prop. His leg >naturally>> came up and was caught by the prop. There was a lot of blood and it>> sprayed onto the windscreen where his girlfriend was. Somehow, the >plane>> was damaged, but I can't remember how. In any case, I became rather>> reluctant to go for a non electric plane.>>>> Besides, have you ever tried>> hand propping on floats? It's hard enough to stand on the floats at >the>> best of times. If you had a heavy wind, you'd have to let the ropes >go and>> try to hand start while drifting back down the pond. If it didn't >start,>> you could easily end up on the rocks. With electric start, I >generally>> untie the plane as I head in the cabin. I hold onto the rope until >the>> plane starts and idles and then toss the rope out the door and clear >of>> the plane. Even that sometimes requires a third hand ;-).>>>> Ken.>>>> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, walter evans wrote:>>>> > Good one Mike.>> > My input would be to give the battery a test flight.>> > Mark out a reduced pattern. Pick up the battery and carry it >down the>> > runway, to the trees, turn right till you hit the bushes, now >right>again>> > and go all the way down parallel to the runway to the other end >to the>> > bushes, right again, and right again when you are in line with >the>runway.>> > When you reach the numbers, put it down. Do you want to carry >that in>> > flight?>> > walt>> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Copinfo
> Subject: Re: Battery Box.> > > >Ken- We hand prop.....:))))> >> >> >Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen> >poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this> >purpose...not sure on the cost though.> >> >Mike C.> >> >> Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaChristavia MK 1 C-GREN________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > Re: Battery Box.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: kyle ray
> > Subject: Re: Battery Box.> >> >> > >Ken- We hand prop.....:))))> > >> > >> > >Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen> > >poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this> > >purpose...not sure on the cost though.> > >> > >Mike C.> > >> > >> >>> Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)> Calgary, Alberta, Canada> Christavia MK 1 C-GREN> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> > Re: Battery Box.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Weikel
>> > Subject: Re: Battery Box.>> >>> >>> > >Ken- We hand prop.....:))))>> > >>> > >>> > >Just funning with you. Seriously, I swear I've seen>> > >poly type containers in Wicks or ACS catalogs just for this>> > >purpose...not sure on the cost though.>> > >>> > >Mike C.>> > >>> > >>> >>>>> Ken Beanlands B.Eng (Aerospace)>> Calgary, Alberta, Canada>> Christavia MK 1 C-GREN>> >>>>>__________________________________________________________________________________________