Re: Pietenpol-List: turnbuckles

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Carl Loar"
Sorry, Corky, but your "turnbuckle bureaucrat" has been long retired and isprobably dead & buried! (must have worked in the Civil Aeronautics Boardunder Roosevelt!! ;-)I checked thru my old copy of CAM 18 for the "3 threads" (it's there) & inthe 1958 Amateur Builders Manual (early EAA pub.) it has a drawing showing 3threads out to 4 threads in as a range for adjustment. That gives us arange of 7/16" on the 1600# turnbuckles -- enough to adjust your elevatortrailing edge + or - 1" from the walking beam connection.another Mike C. -- (waiting for my wood to arrive!!)Pretty Prairie, KS________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dennis Engelkenjohn"
Dennis,I think there are 36 if my memory serves me. I wouldn't trust it though.Age you know...Ted----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: turnbuckles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Steve Eldredge"
If you buzz people or things, all you are really doing s putting your stupidityon display.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: turnbucklesDate: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:25:33 -0600
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: bending lower longerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dennis Engelkenjohn [mailto:wingding(at)usmo.com]
Mine held, but I left some extra length at the front and NAILED the front ofthe longeron to the work table while I was bending it. There was probably100 lbs of force trying to make the front spring back out and the cleatsthat I used for the rest of the fuselage just didn't work.Gene HubbardSan Diego-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: turnbuckles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Peter W Johnson"
if using stranded cable you can adjust (tighten) brace cables with a twist or twoand eliminate turnbuckles alltogether saves weight and money especially ontailfeathers Its done on Roger Manns designs with the same tail surface areaand speeds as the pietenpolregards Norman________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Pricing wood

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Doc,I just went to a local ships chandler near Melbourne. Even some BearingsWarehouse's have them.I bought a load of cable shackles. I needed to re-drill the hole for aclevis pin and bend the ends together a bit. Look good and are strong.CheersPeterWonthaggi, Australiahttp://www.cpc-world.com-----Original Message-----
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Pricing wood

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Galen Hutcheson
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: fabric iron calibration

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: fabric iron calibration

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Darrel Jones
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: fabric iron calibrationHi:There is a simple, low tech way to calibrate/check the iron temperature for use on fabric:Buy a simple bi-metal gizmo that you just place on the inverted iron and in about 20 seconds it reaches the temp and is indicated by a pointer / scale.Cost about $7 from the ASS bunch.Worked fine for me using the Poly systemLou Larsen________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:30:17 -0800
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[ASRC]"
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: ribs and ailerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N"
HelpDoes anyone know an appropriate method for safety wiring the pin end of a AN135 turnbuckle assembly?Don Lane________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Donald Lane
Check in ACS cataloug. There is a full page on wrapping turnbuckles. Go with the single wrap method.Dick N ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: turnbuckles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
=0A=0A =0A =0A=0AHi Dick=0AThanks for the quick response.- I have studied =0Athe pictures in the Aircraft Spruce catalog and cannot see any way to run the =0Awire through the pin end to turn it back on the turnbuckle, whithout going =0Aaround the pin itself, which looks to me to be unacceptable.- I guess I =0Awill step back and start over with a fork end arrangement to remove the =0Aproblem.- This is connecting the rudder cables to the rudder =0Ahorns.-through flat metal links, because when putting the fork end of a =0Aturnbuckle directly to the rudder, I found that I could only get a few degrees =0Aof deflection of the rudder before the fork would jam in the horn.- This =0Awould also possibly damage the safety wire over time.=0AI am still curious if there is a proper way to do =0Athis.- I think the fork end is a better arrangement anyway and will go that =0Aroute.=0ADon =======================0A=0A________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:57:35 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: turnbuckles
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: turnbuckles

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: KM Heide CPO/FAAOP
Hi DickThanks for the quick response. I have studied the pictures in the Aircraft Spruce catalog and cannot see any way to run the wire through the pin end to turn it back on the turnbuckle, whithout going around the pin itself, which looks to me to be unacceptable. I guess I will step back and start over with a fork end arrangement to remove the problem. This is connecting the rudder cables to the rudder horns. through flat metal links, because when putting the fork end of a turnbuckle directly to the rudder, I found that I could only get a few degrees of deflection of the rudder before the fork would jam in the horn. This would also possibly damage the safety wire over time.I am still curious if there is a proper way to do this. I think the fork end is a better arrangement anyway and will go that route.Don L________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Franklin
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________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:21:13 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Stromberg carbs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Stromberg carbs
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel endorsement question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John Franklin"
Hi John,There is no solo requirement to get your tailwheel endorsement. Rather, as Andrew cited, you must be signed off (get an endorsement) from a CFI showing you are proficient in the operations he listed. You do not need a medical to train, ie get the dual instruction. Obviously you can not solo the Citabria once you have the endorsement because it is not a LS.As an Instructor I would give you the sign-off without your medical, after explaining to you that you could not act as PIC in a non-LS aircraft because you lacked the medical. However, you are good to go in a LS.Jim----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel endorsement question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Wash
Tucker are using 1/2 pins?--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:59:15 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel endorsement question
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Doin' Some Ribs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kringle"
Right. 1/2" pin nails from FastenerUSA.com. About 40# air pressure drives thenails just right.--------TuckerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Doin' Some Ribs
matronics

Post by matronics »

But with the rib material at 1/4 inch and the gussets at about 1/16 aren't thenails shooting through the other side?--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Doin' Some Ribs
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
My error. The pin is placed in the thicker side of the rib material.--------JohnRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
I'll ck the hangar too, but it'll be a few days before I can get out there.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 06:38:59 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Early on in my Piet build I bought a large number of used turnbuckles at Oshkosh. A couple years ago I took one of the end forks with me to Oshkosh to be sure and get the correct size pins for the fork end. Now that I am assembling the tail pieces I find I have misplaced the fork end to one of the turnbuckles. I located a supple of used turnbuckles locally but can=99t find one of the same thread pitch. I found one of the same diameter but only about 4 threads will fit into the barrel. Under a microscope I count 30 threads per inch on the type fork I need to replace. The used one I found has 32 threads per inch as does the forks available from Aircraft Spruce. Is it possible the used turnbuckles I got years ago at Oshkosh are a military spec which is different than the thread spec currently used on civilian aircraft? I will be able to replace the entire turnbuckle unit but I am curious about the 2 threads per inch difference in the forks. Anybody have any explanation?Ralph in SD________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: turnbuckles
matronics

To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Pietenpol-List: Auto Gas in an

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Marc Davis
Here in Oregon the car gas has ethanol in it. This ethanol is mixed in as the truck is loaded with fuel at the distributor. If you have a large tank (300 gal.) they will deliver ethanol free gas at about the same as the local stations are charging. To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Auto Gas in an charvet(at)bellsouth.net>> > Well=2C my last source of ethanol free auto gas seems to have switched > over. Right now I'm switching over to 100 LL in my Baby Ace. Anybody > out there been brave enough to try the gas/ethanol mix in a small > continental in a low and slow airplane? > > Ben Charvet> Mims===========> > > _________________________________________________________________Get more from your digital life. Find out how.http://www.windowslive.com/default.html ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gboothe5(at)comcast.net
>> Hi Dick> Thanks for the quick response. I have studied the pictures in the Aircraft> Spruce catalog and cannot see any way to run the wire through the pin end to> turn it back on the turnbuckle, whithout going around the pin itself, which> looks to me to be unacceptable. I guess I will step back and start over> with a fork end arrangement to remove the problem. This is connecting the> rudder cables to the rudder horns. through flat metal links, because when> putting the fork end of a turnbuckle directly to the rudder, I found that I> could only get a few degrees of deflection of the rudder before the fork> would jam in the horn. This would also possibly damage the safety wire over> time.> I am still curious if there is a proper way to do this. I think the fork> end is a better arrangement anyway and will go that route.> Don L>> *httt; http://www.matronics.com/contrib==============> *>>-- Rick HollandCastle Rock, Colorado"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad"________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: turnbuckles
matronics

Post by matronics »

>> >> taildrags(at)hotmail.com>> >> >> > Raymond wrote:> >> > >I am not getting the idle screw to help as far as> > >doing away with the dead spot.> >> > If you look at the way the Stromberg carb is set up, you'll> > see that the idle circuit opens up into the throat of the> > carb right where the throttle butterfly plate contacts the> > wall of the throat. In fact, when you pull back the throttle> > all the way back to idle, that's the only time there is> > enough 'signal' for the carb to pull fuel through that> > circuit. You can see this by looking at Neal Wright's> > diagram of the carb fuel circuits on pg. 2, here:> > http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Stromberg%20stuff.pdf> > and the idle fuel circuit is sort of in violet.> >> > By design, then, adjusting the idle mixture screw> > should only affect the engine operation when the throttle> > is at idle and your problem is not at idle... it's in the> > first opening of the throttle as you come off of idle.> >> > >From Harry Fenton, on the FlyBaby site: "Your stumble is> > probably due to blocked or obstructed bleed hole. If one> > of the bleed holes which serves as the transition from idle> > to higher power settings is blocked, the engine will stumble.> > Another possibility is that the holes where the throttle shaft> > passes through the carb body are worn. If too much air is> > pulled through the holes, then the mixture will lean out and> > the carb will stumble until more fuel is available. If the> > engine was previously used on a homebuilt, then perhaps the> > carb air box was too small."> >> > "If you look into the carb throat, there is an extremely> > small hole just above the butterfly valve in the carb throat> > which opens up a circuit from idle to mid-range power.If this> > passage is obstructed, then the carb will stumble as the> > throttle is advanced through the 1300-1500 rpm range.DO NOT> > use compressed air to blow through the passage as you run the> > very likely risk of pulling a sudden vacuum in the float chamber> > and the float can implode or distort.The most correct way to> > clear this passage would be to disassemble the carb and try to> > clear out the passage with an ultrasonic cleaner."> >> >> > Oscar Zuniga> > Air Camper NX41CC> > San Antonio, TX> > mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> > website at http:======================>> >> >> >>> *>> *>>-- Rick HollandCastle Rock, Colorado"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad"________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Doin' Some Ribs