Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Jeff, I assume that the main reason why the radiator should be placed high is so that air and steam (if any) will collect at the top, in the radiator top collector, rather than bubbling up the hose to where the water pump is. You don't want air or steam in the water pump.And of course the other reason is that you want the water pump drawing the coolest water, which is at the bottom of the radiator. If your radiator is down low, the pump has to pull it up rather than having gravity assist it. Let the water pump push the hot water to the radiator, which keeps pressure on it and prevents cavitation.Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net_________________________________________________________________Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces friends list. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:42:59 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Peter W Johnson"
Jeff,Are you thinking about Lowell Frank's Funk(inverted B) powered red Piet, hehad it at Brodhead 1992. Than he sold it to Jobeth Barrett who brought itto Brodhead 94, 95 and 96.Skip> [Original Message]> I recall at Brodhead one year a Piet that was powered by a B (I > think) that had two radiators under the engine with frame running > fore and aft. Duct work directed airflow in from the front, then 90 > degrees to run across the face of the radiators. The airflow exited > through controlled slats on the lower sides of the cowling. I > apologize if my memory is playing tricks on me. I've never even seen > pix of this Piet since.> Thanks for any input,> Jeff> -- >> _____________________________________________________________>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
Jeff,I did talk to Lowell Frank about the plane last year at Brodhead. He saidthe performance is better than the normal Ford Piet. I don't think it hasany cooling issues.If someone on the list knows how to contact Loewll, I'm sure he would bereal happy to talk to you about it. He is very knowledgeable aboutairplanes and engines, he was the antique airplane technical expert for themovie Red Betsy, and loves to talk about airplanes.Skip>> Do you know anything about how it cooled and > performed otherwise?> Jeff________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:55:49 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

>> RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: HelsperSew(at)aol.com
So what address do we need to send the ten bucks to??? I would be interested in at least looking it over..I saw Mr. Lowell's piet climb out at Brodhead too, but thought it's great performance was just because of the large diameter prop that he had on the big radial engine. ......Ed G.>From: "Rick Holland" >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Funk piet and Riblett airfoil>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:08:45 -0700>>Interesting, after I finish my Piet and start getting bored because I don't>have anything to build I can build a second wing. I will be sending you $10>also. I hate to even think about what the 'build it to the plans' purists>are going to say about this.>>Rick>>On 12/18/06, Roman Bukolt wrote:>>>>conceptmodels(at)tds.net>>>>>Hi People!>>Talking about the Red Piet which has the Funk engine and the louvred>>radiator inside the cowl on the side of the engine, Lowell told me he>>thoiught it was for sale. Last summer I talked to the husband of the>>owner>>and he said it was. Lowell and I met with the owner at her hangar in>>Sullivan, Wi.>>The plane had not been touched in two yrs.>>Lowell spent about 2 hrs. and about 150 prop flips to finally get it>>running. Jo Beth Barrett, who incidently also own a Stearman and a>>military Taylorcraft, then taxied it around on the runway. It geve her a>>renewed interest in the plane and she decided not to sell it.>>This turned out to be a good thing for me because I ended up buying a>>really>>well crafted Piet from Ray Hill, Baxter, IA. You'll see it next summer at>>Brodhead.>>About the airfoil!>>Lowell Frank currently has a Pietenpol with a radial engine. He did not>>build this plane but he did build a new wing with the better performing>>airfoil. The airfoil was designed by Harry Riblett who also did airfoil>>designs for NASA and Burt Rutan. It is called a GA-30U-612.>>It has a deeper chord, rounder leading edge and almost no undercamber. It>>far outperforms the Pietenpol airfoil.>>Riblett did an analysis of the Piet airfoil and gave it a poor rating.>>Riblett said, even better than the GA-30U-612 is an airfoil with even a>>thicker chord called the GA-30U-613.5.>>The 12 defines the 12% thickness and the 13.5 defines the 13.5% chord>>thickness.>>Lowell chose to build the 612 because when looking at his Piet from the>>front one doesn't notice the difference in airfoil thickness from the Piet>>airfoil but he was afraid that buildingt the 13.5 airfoil, it would show.>>At any rate the 612 airfoil demonstrates much better climb, higher speed,>>greater lift, slower and more gentle stall characteristics. I saw his>>plane>>climb out at Brodhead in half the distance and double the altitude than>>any>>of the other Piets and the engine, 90hp wasn't even running at full>>throttle.>>These airfoils caught the interest of both Bill Rewey and myself. We>>evaluated them, Bill had conversations with Harry Riblett and we plotted>>them out.>>The next issue of the Brodhead Newsletter will have an article by Bill>>Rewey>>about these airfoils.>>I have plotted out both airfoils full size and either one is available to>>anyone who's interested for $10 including shipping. I definitely will>>build>>one of the two for my Piet. I understand that the 613.5 airfoil has not>>been tried on a Piet yet. I have a full set of the Piet ribs all built and>>they'll be available for sale at Brodhead next summer. Fortunately I>>hadn't>>started assembling the wing yet.>>>>Roman Bukolt NX20795 and (NX88XN reserved)>>>>>>----- Original Message ----->>From: "Jeff Boatright" >>To: >>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 6:55 AM>>Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?>>>>>>>> >>> > Lowell was talking about a new airfoil that he's been testing on his>>Piet.>> > I'd like to hear more about that, too. Maybe Doc Mosher will get him to>> > write more articles for the newsletter.>> >>> >>>> >>>> >>Jeff,>> >>I did talk to Lowell Frank about the plane last year at Brodhead. He>>said>> >>the performance is better than the normal Ford Piet. I don't think it>>has>> >>any cooling issues.>> >>If someone on the list knows how to contact Loewll, I'm sure he would >>be>> >>real happy to talk to you about it. He is very knowledgeable about>> >>airplanes and engines, he was the antique airplane technical expert for>> >>the>> >>movie Red Betsy, and loves to talk about airplanes.>> >>Skip>> >>>> >>>> >>>>> >>> Do you know anything about how it cooled and>> >>> performed otherwise?>> >>>> >> > Jeff>> >>>> >>> > -->> >>> > _____________________________________________________________>> > Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD>> > Associate Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA>> > Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis>> > mailto:jboatri(at)emory.edu>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-->Rick Holland>>"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad"________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>> RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Roman Bukolt"
>>>>Interesting, after I finish my Piet and start getting bored because I >>don't>>have anything to build I can build a second wing. I will be sending you >>$10>>also. I hate to even think about what the 'build it to the plans' purists>>are going to say about this.>>>>Rick>>>>On 12/18/06, Roman Bukolt wrote:>>>>>>conceptmodels(at)tds.net>>>>>>>Hi People!>>>Talking about the Red Piet which has the Funk engine and the louvred>>>radiator inside the cowl on the side of the engine, Lowell told me he>>>thoiught it was for sale. Last summer I talked to the husband of the>>>owner>>>and he said it was. Lowell and I met with the owner at her hangar in>>>Sullivan, Wi.>>>The plane had not been touched in two yrs.>>>Lowell spent about 2 hrs. and about 150 prop flips to finally get it>>>running. Jo Beth Barrett, who incidently also own a Stearman and a>>>military Taylorcraft, then taxied it around on the runway. It geve her a>>>renewed interest in the plane and she decided not to sell it.>>>This turned out to be a good thing for me because I ended up buying a>>>really>>>well crafted Piet from Ray Hill, Baxter, IA. You'll see it next summer >>>at>>>Brodhead.>>>About the airfoil!>>>Lowell Frank currently has a Pietenpol with a radial engine. He did not>>>build this plane but he did build a new wing with the better performing>>>airfoil. The airfoil was designed by Harry Riblett who also did airfoil>>>designs for NASA and Burt Rutan. It is called a GA-30U-612.>>>It has a deeper chord, rounder leading edge and almost no undercamber. >>>It>>>far outperforms the Pietenpol airfoil.>>>Riblett did an analysis of the Piet airfoil and gave it a poor rating.>>>Riblett said, even better than the GA-30U-612 is an airfoil with even a>>>thicker chord called the GA-30U-613.5.>>>The 12 defines the 12% thickness and the 13.5 defines the 13.5% chord>>>thickness.>>>Lowell chose to build the 612 because when looking at his Piet from the>>>front one doesn't notice the difference in airfoil thickness from the >>>Piet>>>airfoil but he was afraid that buildingt the 13.5 airfoil, it would show.>>>At any rate the 612 airfoil demonstrates much better climb, higher speed,>>>greater lift, slower and more gentle stall characteristics. I saw his>>>plane>>>climb out at Brodhead in half the distance and double the altitude than>>>any>>>of the other Piets and the engine, 90hp wasn't even running at full>>>throttle.>>>These airfoils caught the interest of both Bill Rewey and myself. We>>>evaluated them, Bill had conversations with Harry Riblett and we plotted>>>them out.>>>The next issue of the Brodhead Newsletter will have an article by Bill>>>Rewey>>>about these airfoils.>>>I have plotted out both airfoils full size and either one is available to>>>anyone who's interested for $10 including shipping. I definitely will>>>build>>>one of the two for my Piet. I understand that the 613.5 airfoil has not>>>been tried on a Piet yet. I have a full set of the Piet ribs all built >>>and>>>they'll be available for sale at Brodhead next summer. Fortunately I>>>hadn't>>>started assembling the wing yet.>>>>>>Roman Bukolt NX20795 and (NX88XN reserved)>>>>>>>>>----- Original Message ----->>>From: "Jeff Boatright" >>>To: >>>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 6:55 AM>>>Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> > Lowell was talking about a new airfoil that he's been testing on his>>>Piet.>>> > I'd like to hear more about that, too. Maybe Doc Mosher will get him >>> > to>>> > write more articles for the newsletter.>>> >>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>Jeff,>>> >>I did talk to Lowell Frank about the plane last year at Brodhead. He>>>said>>> >>the performance is better than the normal Ford Piet. I don't think it>>>has>>> >>any cooling issues.>>> >>If someone on the list knows how to contact Loewll, I'm sure he would>>>be>>> >>real happy to talk to you about it. He is very knowledgeable about>>> >>airplanes and engines, he was the antique airplane technical expert >>> >>for>>> >>the>>> >>movie Red Betsy, and loves to talk about airplanes.>>> >>Skip>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> >>> Do you know anything about how it cooled and>>> >>> performed otherwise?>>> >>>>> >> > Jeff>>> >>>>> >>>> > -->>> >>>> > _____________________________________________________________>>> > Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD>>> > Associate Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA>>> > Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis>>> > mailto:jboatri(at)emory.edu>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-->>Rick Holland>>>>"Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers, that smell bad">>> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Roman Bukolt"
> >>>>>>Hi People!>>Talking about the Red Piet which has the Funk engine and the louvred >>radiator inside the cowl on the side of the engine, Lowell told me he>>>>thoiught it was for sale. Last summer I talked to the husband of the>>owner >>and he said it was. Lowell and I met with the owner at her hangar in>>>>Sullivan, Wi.>>The plane had not been touched in two yrs.>>Lowell spent about 2 hrs. and about 150 prop flips to finally get it >>running. Jo Beth Barrett, who incidently also own a Stearman and a >>military Taylorcraft, then taxied it around on the runway. It geve>>her a >>renewed interest in the plane and she decided not to sell it.>>This turned out to be a good thing for me because I ended up buying a>>really >>well crafted Piet from Ray Hill, Baxter, IA. You'll see it next>>summer at >>Brodhead.>>About the airfoil!>>Lowell Frank currently has a Pietenpol with a radial engine. He did>>not >>build this plane but he did build a new wing with the better>>performing >>airfoil. The airfoil was designed by Harry Riblett who also did>>airfoil >>designs for NASA and Burt Rutan. It is called a GA-30U-612.>>It has a deeper chord, rounder leading edge and almost no>>undercamber. It >>far outperforms the Pietenpol airfoil.>>Riblett did an analysis of the Piet airfoil and gave it a poor>>rating. >>Riblett said, even better than the GA-30U-612 is an airfoil with even>>a >>thicker chord called the GA-30U-613.5.>>The 12 defines the 12% thickness and the 13.5 defines the 13.5% chord>>>>thickness.>>Lowell chose to build the 612 because when looking at his Piet from>>the >>front one doesn't notice the difference in airfoil thickness from the>>Piet >>airfoil but he was afraid that buildingt the 13.5 airfoil, it would>>show.>>At any rate the 612 airfoil demonstrates much better climb, higher>>speed, >>greater lift, slower and more gentle stall characteristics. I saw>>his plane >>climb out at Brodhead in half the distance and double the altitude>>than any >>of the other Piets and the engine, 90hp wasn't even running at full >>throttle.>>These airfoils caught the interest of both Bill Rewey and myself. We>>>>evaluated them, Bill had conversations with Harry Riblett and we>>plotted >>them out.>>The next issue of the Brodhead Newsletter will have an article by>>Bill Rewey >>about these airfoils.>>I have plotted out both airfoils full size and either one is>>available to >>anyone who's interested for $10 including shipping. I definitely>>will build >>one of the two for my Piet. I understand that the 613.5 airfoil has>>not >>been tried on a Piet yet. I have a full set of the Piet ribs all>>built and >>they'll be available for sale at Brodhead next summer. Fortunately I>>hadn't >>started assembling the wing yet.>>>>Roman Bukolt NX20795 and (NX88XN reserved)>>>>>>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "Jeff Boatright" >>To: >>Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 6:55 AM>>Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: radiators low?>>>>>>>>>>>> Lowell was talking about a new airfoil that he's been testing on>>his Piet. >>> I'd like to hear more about that, too. Maybe Doc Mosher will get>>him to >>> write more articles for the newsletter.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jeff,>>>>I did talk to Lowell Frank about the plane last year at Brodhead.>>He said>>>>the performance is better than the normal Ford Piet. I don't think>>it has>>>>any cooling issues.>>>>If someone on the list knows how to contact Loewll, I'm sure he>>would be>>>>real happy to talk to you about it. He is very knowledgeable about>>>>airplanes and engines, he was the antique airplane technical expert>>for >>>>the>>>>movie Red Betsy, and loves to talk about airplanes.>>>>Skip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Do you know anything about how it cooled and>>>>> performed otherwise?>>>>>>>> > Jeff>>>>>>>>>> -- >>>>>> _____________________________________________________________>>> Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD>>> Associate Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA>>> Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis>>> mailto:jboatri(at)emory.edu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>> > > > > > > >________________________________________________________________________________