Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Glenn Thomas"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Fwd: dick----=_NextPart_000_0149_01C81A0E.B9C949A0--________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Planer Question
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dale Johnson"
I was thinking I could get by without a planer (as much as I've wanted to buy one)and thought of a reason I might be able to justify the purchase. I was recentlygiven 4 rough-cut Sitka Spruce boards 2" x 6" x approx. 14'. I was hopingto use them for longerons but they have a bit of a warp in them. Would thewood still be usable if I were to cut it in to smaller pieces (suitable fortail feathers, compression struts, etc.) and clamp the smaller pieces into a perfectlystraight jig that would hold them in a fixed position as I plane offany warpage by passing the whole piece in the jig through a planer? The piecesare not badly warped, just not perfect, and if I used them for small pieces,what I call warpage might even be acceptable for some folks without planing. I could just buy more spruce but I'm sure I'd find uses for the planer in thefuture. Has anybody heard of using a planer for this?Thanks--------Glenn ThomasN?????http://www.flyingwood.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Glenn Thomas
GlennCut the boards on the table saw first a little over size.Then run themthrough the planer.A lot less waist and you get square corners.Dale in Mpls> [Original Message]
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

Post by matronics »

GlennI would use them if the grain is right. You are going to be bending them for the fuse anyway.Dick N.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Glenn I have a Delta 12 1/2-inch planer. Its simple and inexpensive. I like it alot and it come in very handy when I need a board reduced to a specificthickness. If you own one, a hole new world opens up to you. You can buyruff-cut board (cheaper) and make then into beautiful wood. You would besurprised what an ugly looking 2x4 will turn into after you run it through aplaner. As for taking the twist out, it will not do that. It will onlymake the two side parallel. If it goes in twisted it comes out twisted. ButI think you already know this. If it were me, I would cut them intolongerons and see if the twist is that bad once you get them machined downto 1x1. Cut one side on the table saw then cut the other on the table sawor jointer to 90 degrees to the first, then run through the planer. I wouldbet that starting with a 2x2 you would have usable 1x1s by the time yourdone. You can always use them for smaller pieces if it doesn't work out.Chris TracySacramento, CaWebsite at http://www.WestCoastPiet.com----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack T. Textor"
matronics

Post by matronics »

I have a long straight board with clamps on it that I use for making taperedspars. I also have a 10' long aluminum channel that I can clamp down to mysaw to make an extra long rip fence. With a setup like that you can clamp aweird twisted piece of wood to the flat straight board and run it throughthe saw to get one side perfectly straight and flat. Put that side downthrough the planer and you will wind up with two parallel sides and can getthe other two sides done on the table saw. You can get away without thelong rip fence, but it makes it a lot easier for cutting long boards. Ialso clamp pieces of plywood on the bottom of the long fence and get nicelong infeed and outfeed tables. It is hard to keep a long board flat on ashort table and rip fence unless you have two people doing it.I love my planer and they are not that expensive. I made my son a very nicewater bed using cheap Home Depot 2 X 8s and getting the sides smooth andflat on the planer. Some stain and varnish and it looks as good asexpensive wood.Brian KrautEngineering Alternatives, Inc.www.engalt.com________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:52:47 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick Navratil"
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Planer Question>>> I was thinking I could get by without a planer (as much as I've wanted tobuy one) and thought of a reason I might be able to justify the purchase. I was recently given 4 rough-cut Sitka Spruce boards 2" x 6" x approx. 14'.I was hoping to use them for longerons but they have a bit of a warp inthem. Would the wood still be usable if I were to cut it in to smallerpieces (suitable for tail feathers, compression struts, etc.) and clamp thesmaller pieces into a perfectly straight jig that would hold them in afixed position as I plane off any warpage by passing the whole piece in thejig through a planer? The pieces are not badly warped, just not perfect,and if I used them for small pieces, what I call warpage might even beacceptable for some folks without planing. I could just buy more sprucebut I'm sure I'd find uses for the planer in the future. Has anybody heardof using a planer for this?>> Thanks>> --------> Glenn Thomas> N?????> http://www.flyingwood.com>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

> > Pietenpol-List: Planer Question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mike Whaley"
> > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >> glennthomas(at)flyingwood.com>> >> > I was thinking I could get by without a planer (as much as I've wanted> to buy one) and thought of a reason I might be able to justify the purchase.> I was recently given 4 rough-cut Sitka Spruce boards 2" x 6" x approx. 14'.> I was hoping to use them for longerons but they have a bit of a warp in> them. Would the wood still be usable if I were to cut it in to smaller> pieces (suitable for tail feathers, compression struts, etc.) and clamp the> smaller pieces into a perfectly straight jig that would hold them in a fixed> position as I plane off any warpage by passing the whole piece in the jig> through a planer? The pieces are not badly warped, just not perfect, and if> I used them for small pieces, what I call warpage might even be acceptable> for some folks without planing. I could just buy more spruce but I'm sure> I'd find uses for the planer in the future. Has anybody heard of using a> planer for this?> >> > Thanks> >> > --------> > Glenn Thomas> > N?????> > http://www.flyingwood.com> >> >> >> >> > Read this topic online here:> >> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 637#142637> > *>> >> >>>> *>-- Glenn ThomasStorrs, CThttp://www.flyingwood.com________________________________________________________________________________