Pietenpol-List: Minimum changes from original plans?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Minimum changes from original plans?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ryan Mueller"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Minimum changes from original plans?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: H RULE
Among other interesting comments, Charles Loomis writes:> I am building the steel fuselage, mild steel, ...Nice to read this! You are the only other builder I've run into who is using mildsteel. In my case, it's because I enjoy welding and want the practice. It hurtsa bit, because I know in my heart that real Piets are made of wood. Thenagain, at this point structural ERW is probably cheaper than wood, and no doubtMr. Pietenpol would approve of that. It's still nice to have validation.I am strongly thinking of making mine a single-piece wing, just to save weight.Has anyone done that? Anyone have any thoughts about it?Finally, much as I hate to admit it, mere steel is probably "good enough," butone day probably 20 years ago at Old Rhinebeck I got into conversation with afellow who was building a Piet. It was his second. He had managed to break hisfirst one by stalling it at 300 feet, freezing at the controls, and going instraight down under full power. He had picked himself up from an enormous pileof splinters, an engine-shaped bruise on his chest, and decided that the nextone would also be wood. Can't say I blame him.Best of luck with your project. And quick progress, which will make your planea lot different from mine.Owen________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 06:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Minimum changes from original plans?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jonathan Ragle
In response to question:one-piece wing here - spar splice underway as we speak. Also doing minimal changes from plans. Short fuselage, wire wheels, no brakes, wood "Jenny-style" gear, tail skid, Model A, etc . . . Gene________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Minimum changes from original plans?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jonathan Ragle
> In response to question:> > one-piece wing here - spar splice underway as we speak. > Also doing minimal changes from plans. Short fuselage, wire> wheels, no brakes, wood "Jenny-style" gear, tail> skid, Model A, etc . . . > > Gene ________________________________________________________________________________