Pietenpol-List: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "William Wynne"
Stu,Corvair College #33 is not canceled at all. We have moved the event to Mid Floridaairport at Eustis, A friendly welcoming privately owned grass strip 14 milesfrom Leesburg. I was there today putting the last touches on the arrangementswith the airport owner Mr. Rama and the manager Rex Wyatt. The setting is puregrass roots aviation, without the tower, chain link fence, gate swipe cardsand barbed wire required at the Leesburg public airport.Although we has two previous successful Colleges working with EAA 534, and theleadership of the chapter had agreed to host college #33 weeks ago before we openedthe sign up, The EAA 534 president emailed me 4 days to say his chapterwas backing out. His official reason was that he claimed he just found out thatwe had originally considered Palatka airport for #33, and this quote "Dissed"his chapter. Although 534 made over $1,000 profit last year doing the food,and I donated a core engine to the chapter and a full set of Corvair materials,The event chairman said "There as nothing in hosting for 534" No appeal tocommon sense citing the late date and the fact people had long bought airlinetickets moved either man. Not a problem, we are glad to move the event a fewmiles down the road and work with the private airport at Eustis. People signedup for the college will get a complete brief on the improved location after signup closes at 9m tonight. Stu, if you mistakenly told any other group the eventwas canceled, please let me know so I can correct it there also. -ww.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Yahoo! Account Service
Piet Fans,Here is a link to a story about a Corvair built by Piet builder Tim Hansen of OrientOhio:http://flycorvair.net/2015/03/29/100-hp ... e-pays/Tim has attended previous colleges, and came down to out airport in Florida thisweekend to finish and test run his engine. The story has a number of good pictures,and contains motivational stuff centered on "Persistence Pays." -ww.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 08:13:01 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
Agreed Bill BUT, a big challenge for me is coping the cuts well. For my mount and gear I went through a bunch of 4130...Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Mar 29, 2015, at 8:03 AM, "Douwe Blumberg" wrote:> > If I were building again, I=99d do a steel tube fuse. I have a wood fuselage.> > If you can weld, or even tack and have a pro finish them up, it has many advantages to my mind.> > 1. It is lighter. Nobody can ever agree upon how much lighter because guys will weigh their wood and steel fuselages for comparison but usually in different stages of completion so the numbers are usually meaningless. There is consensus however that the steel is lighter, by how much exactly is a question. I=99ve heard from five pounds to twenty pounds. Take your pick> 2. If you can weld it is quicker> 3. It is stronger, but who cares, the wood fuse is plenty strong> 4. Possibly cheaper> 5. Better in a crash> 6. Much easier to add access door/doors if you=99re into that.> 7. One could even say it=99s original since BP drew plans for it> 8. You probably have more freedom about the type of tail wheel you can use since it=99s a stronger connection. I=99ve heard of a few tail wheels ripping out of wood fuselages for various reasons, usually a rotted back end or a long spring type which gives way too much leverage under side load than the wood will take. > > > Drawbacks??> > 1. Lack of coolness/nostalgia factor when you look in the cockpit> > > > $.02> > Douwe> > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen Hello listers,I just wanted to say thanks for all the well wishes regarding my engine run, itwas a great moment to see something I made fire up for the first time. Mike,Terry, Chuck, and many others whom I've met or spoken to along the way, all didtheir part to keep me going. If I ever talked your ear off about flying or askedyou a question, you were part of my success. Most of all, I especially want to thank William and Grace for their hospitality,encouragement, and tireless efforts to assist builders like me in our dreamsof flight. I have learned a lot, and made many friends at Corvair Colleges andBrodhead, and I doubt very many designs have such a great group of enthusiasticsupporters as the Pietenpol. To anyone lurking and wondering whether homebuilding is for them, I can only presentmyself as evidence that if you're willing to put in the effort, you willbe rewarded with the satisfaction of seeing the fruits of your labor come tolife. Get out there and Learn, Build, FLY!Tim HansenOrient, OH____________________________________________________________Old School Yearbook PicsView Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL313 ... ______Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 07:02:50 -0400
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "kevinpurtee"
Hi Steve - Call me when you're ready for the visit. I think you have the number,but, just in case: 512-422-6371. I'll e-mail the guy.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeRebuilding NX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New running Corvair Built by Tim Hansen
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: New running Corvair Built by Tim HansenOkay, Kevin thanks to you (and Shelley too) for your guidance and encouragementon my build. I plan on including several features you have included in FBG andwill have more questions when the time comes. I had confirmed through othersources that my 'bribe' had arrived but apparently it was not enough, I will tryharder next time. :) Seriously, thanks for being willing to answer questions, and for hosting collegesthat benefit all who attend them, I know it's a ton of work. Good to here therebuild is coming along.Tim HansenOrient, OH ____________________________________________________________Old School Yearbook PicsView Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL313 ... ______Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 06:30:19 -0400