Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Ray: yes, my project is for the Veterans Administration. The VA has an installationcalled the Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center & Clinics in White City,just outside of Medford. The buildings date back to before WWII and were intendedto be temporary barracks buildings. They are being replaced one by onewith new facilities and we're working on the 4th residential care building ina series of them. This installation was originally known as Camp White, andin fact has quite a history. If you're interested, you can read more about ithere:http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/exh ... e/camp.htm .Just reading quickly through some of the information, I see where the DoolittleRaiders trained for the mission at the Pendleton Oregon Army Air Base. The USArmy Air Force's 17th Bombardment Group was stationed there.Now how did I get off the subject of "first flight of the year"? Must be the paintjob on my airplane ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Okay, Jeff (Boatright)- I took some photos of my stick grip and PTT setup. Rather than clutter up the list with images, if anyone is interested you can go to http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/stick/stick.html and I've put up the photos and narrative.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Oscar,That was a good review of your setup. Thanks!Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Thanks much, Oscar. I like it!Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ray Allen stick grip
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
Steve: as mentioned in the caption, the flight deck crewman's helmet uses a standardDC hearing protector, so my guess is that a standard headset (either DCor knockoff like mine, which is Pacific Coast Avionics lowball unit) could befitted to it. I think I may have tried it at some point in the past. I likethe bump protection that the helmet provides, and it's not as hot and restrictiveas a full helmet.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:41:55 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Chuck,I flew with a Stearman pilot who did just exactly thatput the PTT switch on the side, for the reason you suggest.Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Ray Allen stick grip

Post by matronics »

Dan,The Lord is on your side. Good thing it happened on the ground. Have you run it since? And any answers to the "water wetter" issue. I'm at SunNFun now but hoping to put lots of time on mine when I return next week.Hope to see you soon,JackSent from my iPad> On Apr 23, 2015, at 8:03 PM, danhelsper(at)aol.com wrote:> > Fellow Pietenpolers,> > While doing all my springtime preliminaries, maintenance items etc. to get the Loensloe airplane ready for flight, I decided to re-make and replace some of the steel tube components that connect and hold the radiator hoses in place. The old ones were getting corroded on the inside pretty bad along with the interface surfaces that come in contact with the rubber radiator hoses. As a matter of fact I had a pretty difficult time pulling apart some of the hoses off the joints due to rust. > > So today I was test-running the engine, all set to fly it right after that. After about 2 minutes at full power, while standing along side the pilot's pit, there was a loud "POP" and I got a sudden shower of radiator water on my head. I immediately pulled the throttle back and turned off the mag. While my head was still dripping, I walked around to the engine and found the hose had popped off the newly-made fitting (the one in this photo).> > I have come to the conclusion that the reason was that while I was assembling all this I got the bright idea to use Aviation Gasket Sealer on the joints. I am pretty sure this stuff reduced the friction under the hose clamps and with a little pressure, the assembly let loose.> > I have deliberately NOT put this on the Piet Facebook sight, for fear of retribution from my wife.> > So in my efforts to be "more safe" I inadvertently made it "less safe".> > Sometimes plain and simple is the best.> > Dan Helsper> Loensloe Airfield> Puryear, TN> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Ray Allen stick grip
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Too smart.... by half.

Post by matronics »

Chuck: let me take your points one at a time. First, about getting the old stickgrip off, I was lucky with mine, I guess. Of course it wouldn't budge withoutpersuasion, so I took some water pump pliers (Channelocks) and started atthe bottom, gently twisting the grip on the stick to break it free. I workedmy way up the grip, breaking it free from whatever the combination of paint onthe stick, heat, changing seasons, or whatever had stuck it in place. It wasfinally loose enough for me to twist it off by hand. I have it on the shelfif you want it ;o)Next, you asked if you need another Ray Allen grip in the front. Well, the answeris "penzon". If you do the flying and talking and all you're doing is takingsomeone for a ride and neither you nor they need to communicate except byhand signals, nothing more is needed. In my case, I have a 2-place intercom thatI can use in a couple of different ways. I can just give the front-seaterheadphones and no mic, in which case I can tell them what's happening and whatto expect, ask them to nod or wave their hand, give me a thumbs-up or -down,simple stuff. They have no PTT switch, no mic.However, I can also give them a headset with a mic and my Sigtronics is voice activated(VOX) so no PTT is needed for me to talk to the front seater or vice-versa.They still don't need a stick grip with PTT. My intercom has a toggleswitch that lets me cut off the front seater's mic so they don't interrupt melistening to ATC, although they can still hear the radio chatter in their headphones.In the most complex case, I have dual stick grips, dual PTTs, and dual headsets-but I'll be darned if I know what happens if both pilot and passenger push theirPTTs with the radio hot. This setup might be used if the front seater weregoing to do the radio work while the back seater does the flying, perhaps forinstruction, but it would be a rare case. Long story short, the front seatershouldn't need a stick grip with a PTT if you have an intercom with VOX.>Does the front passenger ever talk to you?Only when she's not mad at me ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Too smart.... by half.