Pietenpol-List: welcome Semih

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: welcome Semih

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Hello and welcome Semih!Congratulations on your progress, I applaud your perseverance in facing thematerials challenges there!!Please keep us updated with your progress and feel free to ask questions.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Hey Dan,Just an idea which you may have already done about your coolant fittings.If you haven't already done it, you could run a little weld bead around theends of the tubs and grind them smooth so they form a little "lip" for thehose clamps to hold against. Gives a bit of a mechanical connection to anotherwise strictly friction fit. Or you could have someone with the righttool bead the edge.We don't like "popping" sounds when we're flying!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "oldbird"
Hello Semih,Welcome to the world of Pietenpols. Your project looks very nice. Your storymakes me fell very lucky to have all the building resources we could ever wanthere in the USA. Your story makes me wonder about your freedoms to fly in your country. Do youhave plenty of airfields to fly from? Are you free to fly without flight plansor other restrictions? I am only curious since it is probably too far awayfor me to fly over there in my Piet.Welcome again and feel free to ask any and all questions. Someone on the listwill have an answer to most any question you can think of. I sure enjoyed lookingat your pictures.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Hi Jack and Scottfirst, let me thank you for your very nice and encouraging comments and warm welcome.To answer Scott's questions about flying in Turkey, first of all there was no law-rule-regulationrecognizing homebuilt aircraft as "homebuilt". A regulationunder civil aviation law was released a couple of months ago for regulating homebuiltaircraft. Far from being adequate but still a beginning (a bit late eh?).We are actually a small group of maybe 40 people trying to do what Paul didin 1953 founding EAA. We have a club named Experimental Aviation Society (maybeassociation) and actively working to help/persuade government authoritiesto make things as they shoud be (in our and rest of the world's opinion). Thisincludes translating, adapting regulations from FAA, EAA, BGA etc.As for flying, my city, Istanbul is quite unlucky in terms of flying fields. Weare also in search of suitable fields, including grass areas/strips and abandonedrunways and ex-military airports close to Istanbul - maybe about an hour'sdrive. We do not have any pre-defined air spaces ie. class A, class B etc. Thisalso is another problem. Last but not least, we still have an unproportionaltaxing system for aircraft. This includes LSA. We are trying to have the authoritiesto exclude homebuilts from tax and establish another class of pilot'slisence similar to your sport pilot license (SPL).English is not my mother tongue and please forgive me if I couldn't make myselfclear. If you have any further questions please go ahead.regards and happy landingsSemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Semih; my wife and I will be in Istanbul for a couple of days in October. Thiswill be our 4th time to visit Turkey and we always enjoy the people, the cuisine,the country. Although I probably can't take you any spruce or 4130 fromthe USA, it would be great to meet you and perhaps also see your project! Perhapssome ay-?Welcome to the list.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
You are more than welcome Oscar. My wife also is bilingual so although she is nothome yet, she will also be thrilled when she hears this. ay or anythig else.Looking forwardSemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Merhaba!Bravo on your, well, looks like more than a project, endeavor. Can't imaging havingto make a aviation system the same time as an airplane. Sort of makes youa combination of both Paul and Bernard.Based on you kit log, I'm guessing you'll be answering more questions than asking,but nonetheless, I wouldn't worry about daring to take our valuable time.Ask away if necessary, but more importantly keep telling us about this amazinggrassroots effort to start up a light civil home building and flying systemover there. I'm hoping Terry Hand will chime in, he's an airline captain flying internationallyon equipment I know used to fly to Istanbul although I don't know if he'ssenior enough to get those trips. He has on numerous occasions visited withpietenpol builders in England. I'm sure he'd love to catch up with you! He'sbeen to Istanbul and loves the city. I've only had one overnight there and lovedwhat I saw in that short time.I've got more time in Ankara, where I was born, to Americans in the military onoverseas assignment, but left at the age of one. Very best of luck to you, let us know if we can be any help,at all!Mike DanfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
Merhaba Mikeagain thank you very much for what I have read. All of it.Wood: I have my own carpentry shop in the factory I work for. I also have a friend(somewhat younger) who has a furniture and decoration stuff manufacturingplant with high precision woodworking machinery. If you pay a reasonable amount,any carpenter shop can saw wood for you here.In short, there is no problem with technical ability. The problem was the materialitself.By the way, I will not be using solid spars. I will use box spars with 25x25mm(approx 1"x1") caps with 3mm (slightly thinner than 1/8") webs. I made the strengthcalculations and they prove to be adequate. The question was not to be moresophisticated. It was that I couldn't find correct spruce long enough. Ifanyone needs dimensions, I have the CAD drawing of the whole thing (by my humbleself)and I will be happy to share it.Syberian pine is slightly heavier and stronger than Sitka. Since the webs willbe Okume ply (marine) I am hoping for reasonable weights. As you may have seenfrom my Kitlog page, I occassionally weigh my stuff and post it, in case someoneis interested in weights. The ring count is much more than what MIL specifiesfor aircraft spruce, which was, if my memory doesn't deceive me, about 6-7rings per inch. In my case, with Syberian pine, and also the local spruce I use,it is roughly 20.Happy landingsSemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: New to the list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Welcome, Semih! It's always amazing to me to see the ingenuity of people inother parts of the world adapting their materials to aircraft construction.The Pietenpol design of course lends itself well to changes in material.I'm also a mechanical engineer, and I found my engineering knowledge veryhelpful in building my own Pietenpol. Please let us know if we can help bybuying hardware or items here that we can ship to you. Is there any chanceyou can make it Brodhead and Oshkosh some summer? One trip to Oshkosh canpretty well supply you with everything you need to finish your airplane.Best of luck to you!Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Steven D. Dortch"
Can you please post where you are located? My son and granddaughters are livingin Orlando, Fl. Another close relative, with granddaughter lives in Queens, NY.We visit them once in a while. If I have the chance, I would love to visityou guys if I have the opportunity.Happy landingsSemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:54:01 -0500Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: New to the list
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: welcome Semih

Post by matronics »

Yes.Sent from my iPhone> On Aug 15, 2015, at 10:11 AM, Steven Dortch wrote:> > Hey guys, I enjoyed my BPA newsletter. I understand the need for articles. What do we want in the newsletter?> > Painting?> Sources for engines?> Discussions on safety?> New things you have tried?> Instrument panel ideas? IE should I put a full IFR glass panel in my Piet including an autopilot? (that ought to get some discussion.)> Radio ideas?> Funny stories?> trips?> Warnings?> Training?> Hangar organization? Hangar ideas?> FAA problems?> A discussion on the varieties of Piets, (Scout, Aircamper, Air Camper, Ariel, side by side...)> > Where should we send these articles?> > > -- > Blue Skies,> Steve D> > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: welcome Semih
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Boothe
I finally (re)started the fuselage construction. Since I have all the empennagecomponents finished, after the fuselage, I will be left with wing construction.I have all the ribs finished, so it should be easy. 90% finished, 90% to go.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________