Fabric Primer

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
lacyvilla

Fabric Primer

Post by lacyvilla »

Hello,

Went to Brodhead this year and gathered a bunch of good ideas. Talked to several who used exterior latex for paint. Wondering what was used for primer? I've got stewart systems on the project and have seen Sherwin-Williams, Kilz waterborne, and Rustoleum silver in research. Any input from someone who has used any of the above?
danoliver

Re: Fabric Primer

Post by danoliver »

I used Sherwin-Williams Emerald over Stewarts Systems Ekofill UV primer. My plane isn't quite a year old so I can't say how it'll hold up over time but I'm happy with it so far.
A couple good write ups about latex paint to check out are;
"Painting With Latex House Paint" by Drew Fidoe on The Fly Baby Home Page,
"Latex Paint for Aircraft" on the Wienerdog Aero site,
"Latex Finish for Fabric" by Steve Eldredge on the West Coast Piet site, and,
I don't have it with me right now so I can't give you the exact issue but, Douwe Bumberg did an article about it in one of the BPA Newsletters.

One thing I do wonder about...
No matter how lightly you try and sand the primer, you wind up completely removing it from the very edges of the tapes. I mean I tried to just sand the air slightly above the fabric and still wound up with the edges of the tapes exposed. I can shine a light and see the zig-zag of the pinked edges through the fabric. Is that a concern? Well I don't know. Maybe somebody with some real experience here can chime in.