Gussets

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Gussets

Post by Pat Weeden »

Message received at Pietenpol HQ today....
Hi,

I'm trying to get some information about Pietenpole gussets. Do the gussets in the Pietenpole aircamper plans need to be a specific measurement or can they be as close to the pictures on the plans as possible? I can't find any information on the plans about measurements or anywhere on wood aircraft building that discusses this topic. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Brent
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
taildrags

Re: Gussets

Post by taildrags »

In my opinion, if no dimensions are given for gussets in a specific location (or in general), then "close enough is good enough" and an eyeball estimate will work when it comes to constructing this airplane. And recognize that there are variations on the same theme. For example, some builders have cut plywood circles or semicircles to use as their gussets rather than rectangular pieces. The objective of having the gussets is to restrain the structural framing elements to keep them in place, and to shift the load stresses away from the glue joint where those elements meet.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Clay Hammond

Re: Gussets

Post by Clay Hammond »

Look at any wood wing built in the 20's. Waco, Travel Air, Spartan, Laird, Ryan, Great Lakes...etc. Your answer will be apparent.

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
www.oldrhinebeck.org