Gascolator Installation

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jeffreyK

Gascolator Installation

Post by jeffreyK »

I have purchased an Usher Gascolator 6 which mounts like many of the others with the fuel line passing through the firewall. I have seen this on other Piets near the side but don't know how they routed the fuel lines considering the rudder pedals are on the sides. I'm thinking about nearer the center to be clear of the rudder pedals but either way I am concerned about passengers accidentally kicking the fuel line. I would run the line into the compartment at the firewall under the box and from there across to center and then down maintaining a downward path throughout. I haven't drilled any holes yet and would appreciate input and greatly appreciate any pictures of how builders have run the fuel line in this area from a center wing tank. I don't have a cowl tank.
Jeffrey Kornblum
Richard Roller

Re: Gascolator Installation

Post by Richard Roller »

On 34KP the fuel line runs down the upper left longeron from the aft left cabane strut (center section tank). It follows the longeron trough the upper aft firewall and the strainer is bolted to the upper part of the lower firewall step on the left side. This is for a Model A installation. Let me look for some pictures.
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

I couldn't find a good picture of the fuel line run.
20201112_140445.jpg
IMG_20220228_133802.jpg
IMG20220728134525.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I had the same concern so I used the braid-shielded fuel line material with AN hose fittings on both ends to make it as robust as possible. However, on my plane the penetration through the firewall is around mid-firewall where the passenger's feet would be on either side of it. This is with a tank up front, not in the wing.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Thank you for the replies. I can't have the gascolator up high because with my corvair and carb I need the gasolator to be much lower and then the foot pedals become an issue. Oscar, I was thinking that is what I have to do. I was also thinking of some L-bar next to it just to add some protection from wandering feet. Open to all other ideas until I drill holes.
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

Could you mount it with a couple spacers and then use an elbow fitting? Then you could run your fuel line from anywhere you like. I built my Air Camper with no penetrations through the firewall and no junk cluttering up the passenger compartment.
In the photos you can see the gascolator mounted to the bottom left of the firewall, and the fuel line entering from the top left.
IMG_4698.jpeg
IMG_3468_Original.jpeg
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I like how you've done that. One of the nice things about the Usher gascolator is it mounts directly to the firewall without brackets. Moving it off the wall would defeat that and bring in much more fuel line in front of the firewall. The position of my Rotec Carb almost dictates throttle to come through the firewall. All other cables I plan to have like you have done. I'll have to think about all this. Thank you for sharing your experience .