Split gear construction

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Split gear construction

Post by PoconoJohn »

I'm starting to think about split landing gear. Any suggestions or lessons learned? Any mistakes or problems in the plans? Anything I should change from the plans?

Thanks!

John C
taildrags

Re: Split gear construction

Post by taildrags »

John; if you're thinking of the Cub-style gear, I can highly recommend the "canned spring" die spring gear setup as done by William Wynne. My spring struts are similar but are not enclosed as the WW style are. See photo below, side-by-side comparison of the traditional Bungee shock arrangement with the much cleaner and more robust enclosed die spring setup on Bob Lester's Piet as the work of converting from bungees was underway.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
canned.JPG
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks...and I've seen WW with Earl's plane also. That's the way I'm going to do it....once I figure it out:)

John C
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

How to build the spring struts is all right here: https://flycorvair.net/2012/10/27/new-d ... a-m-4-p-m/

-Oscar
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks! Been looking at the WW articles and YT videos. I'm trying to figure out how the canned spring affects the tube dimensions, and how long to make the upper and lower tubes (everything really). I'm wondering if any dimensions on the plans will change. Looks like the "can" for the spring is 6.25". It looks like the 2" washer on top of the spring slides in the can.