Early Aviation & Engine Books

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
tom kreiner

Early Aviation & Engine Books

Post by tom kreiner »

To All,

I've been in contact with my local print shop regarding the books shown below, and they are working up a quotation to duplicate them.

At this point in time, I have no idea what the cost might be, but whatever it turns out to be will be dependent upon the number of you who are interested, as this will be a group effort... I purchased these a couple of years ago at the bookseller at OSH fly mart for around $65 for the pair, and have found them to be chock filled with information about 1930's aircraft building techniques.

Please contact me at tkreiner on gmail to let me know if you're interested.
Attachments
Brimm & Boggess.jpg
Steve D

Re: Early Aviation & Engine Books

Post by Steve D »

Tom, If it is too prehibitive to print it. Consider getting it scanned and then it can be put on CDs. I also find these books chock full of info.

Blue Skies,
Steve D
Terry Hand

Post by Terry Hand »

Tom,

I did not realize that those books were in the public domain. Very cool!

Keep us posted.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

Steve, Terry, et al,

Since these were printed in the late 30's, early '40's, they've been public domain for roughly 50 years now.

As Steve mentioned, they're a treasure trove of information for the homebuilder, and are my ready reference when thinking through various construction techniques for the Piet. Along with the Bingelis books, I think they're indispensible.

The print shop will scan, save to pdf, and then print copies as required. The maintenance book is 492 pages, ALL OF WHICH have some sort of illustration, table, sketch, etc. The engine book is 470 pages, and like its sister publication, has hundreds of illustrations, pictures, tables and so on. A wealth of information for all of us. My goal is not to make money, rather to assist everyone with some forgotten techniques in this era of spam can aircraft...That said, I do need to cover the costs by spreading them over a large population wanting/needing them.

In case you're wanting one of these NOW, look at eBay, where at least 6, maybe 8 books are currently on auction between $2.50, and $70.
habickford

Post by habickford »

Very interesting Tom. I'd be interested in copies.

Harold