New member, intro

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Ozzietx

New member, intro

Post by Ozzietx »

I just joined the board.
I think I have decided that I want to build a Piet. It will probably be about a year before I actually start.
Right now I have limited time, and space, but that should change within a year or so.
My goal is to do as much due diligence as possible before I start. There are so many decisions to be made.
I am in San Antonio, Texas, and would love to connect with anyone in my area to talk, and possibly see your Piet.
I am sure I will have many questions in the coming months.
Tools

Re: New member, intro

Post by Tools »

If it's been said once...

If at all possible, get to Brodhead. It's the third week of July, in southern Wisconsin. Lots of piets. Almost guaranteed a ride. Definitely sit in some planes for size. Take lots of nerdy reference photos. Seeing the various options in person really helps ya decide how to proceed. Tons of contacts to be made.

That being said, local shop and hangar visits are next. Might have to do some driving, but usually worth it.

Welcome to the group! Stay in touch!

Tools
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ozzie; welcome to the list. I just missed you by a couple of years... moved back out here to Oregon from San Antonio in 2011. My Air Camper was based at San Geronimo Airpark while I was there. Steve Dortch is another Piet guy in your area, I thought he was still at San Geronimo but may have moved up to Bulverde or somewhere up the road from you.
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

Ozzie, I am currently finishing a rebuild of my Pietenpol. It has a 65HP Contenental. You are certainly welcome to come take a look and probe my limited knowledge.
Are you by chance the guy who was deciding between a Pietenpol and a Fly Baby?

It is currently at San Geronimo Airpark (8T8) and once flying will be moved to Heritage Airpark (TE86)

Blue Skies.
markc

Post by markc »

hey guys I also just joined , markc from central ky ,I bought a piet from a good friend N799JK , it has been to broadhead several times in the past
and hoping to make the trip again in the future , I have been reading the post and enjoying all the good info learning a lot ,
Ozzietx

Post by Ozzietx »

Steve,

I am not the guy deciding between a Piet, and Fly Baby.
I was at the club Fly In this month though.

I have committed to renting out the chapter hangar for my build.

I would love to connect with you. Can you shoot me you contact info. If possible I would like to
stop by this coming weekend. I need to survey the chapter hangar as well.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ozzie; I also rented space in the EAA 35 hangar for a good while... about a year, maybe more, if I recall. There are a lot of useful tools in there but even better, there are some very knowledgeable people around, especially on weekends. By the way, I think I left my VW engine stand there when I moved. Forgot to check ;o( If you see a VW engine stand, school bus yellow, with a silver EAA sticker on it... that used to be mine. I guess it's in a good home now though, since so many light homebuilts use the VW for power.