new builder

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
dunrite

new builder

Post by dunrite »

Im new to pietenpol group, Ive purchased plans from andrew pietenpol and the corvair manual from william wynn. Ive chosen to go with the steel fuselage and 3 piece wing. the plans dont seemed to be very detailed but appear to be enough with all the piet builders and web sites available. My question is: news letter have imformation that would be helpful during construction? 30 yrs ago I was building a rv-3 and those plans were very complete compared to the pietenpol, but at 71 yrs old my interest has changed to low and slow. Ive not had the oppurtunity to see pietenpol in person if anyone is in the redding calif area I would love a chance to find out more about plane. are there any builders near my area { northern ca.}
Ive tried to register with pietvair group am still waiting for reply. Ive purchased a tig welder and started practicing my welding tecnique. My only previous welding has been mig and a little gas welding, Im sure I will have lots of questions and hopeful to find some local or at least near by builders.
Brian Amato

Re: new builder

Post by Brian Amato »

Hey Dunrite.....
Don't feel like you're the only one. I'm 71 also and, altho I've built an airplane like the Piet before, I'm having a tough time sorting out a lot of what you will find in the blueprints.
If you haven't already, get yourself a copy of the "Flying and Glider Manual", originally published in 1932 (now available as a re-print from EAA). That was the issue that featured the Aircamper. It was supposed to have been written by Berny Pietenpol but it was not. It was ghost written by a guy named Weston (Westy) Farmer. It is full of useful plans and written instructions. It's written in a kind of "cutesy" way to be as much entertaining as instructive but it's a must have for Piet builders.
Trouble is, when you compare drawings in the manual from drawings AND dimensions in the blueprints, there are a ton of discrepancies. We all know it and just carry on making the most out of what we see and read. Guys on this site are helpful too.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/2251635 ... der-manual
Don't be afraid to ask questions here. I do all the time and always get a fast and helpful response from guys who have already been thru what I'm doing and can shed some light on the thing you're having a question about. I will help all I can too but I'm probably not that much further along than you are.
Write me at: kwesting2@gmail.com
I'm in Traverse City, Michigan. Old guy, pilot since I was 15. Member of EAA since then too.
Hang in there....it will happen for you.

Brian
Moroz

Post by Moroz »

Thanks for recommending the Flying and Glider Manual, Brian. I'm going to check it out for sure. Glad I'm not the only one with problems like those. I guess experience does help, but it doesn't always make everything easy.
Here's a pellet smokers success story to read about.
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Hey Dunrite

Hard to believe but everything is there in the plans except seatbelts, cowling (for non-model A) and brakes. I also used a tig welder and built a 3 piece wing. Answers to most any questions you can come up with have already been answered in the forum archives, a huge advantage to building a Piet, great builder support. You are off to a good start.

Rick H