General Inquiry

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
arnoldzippo

General Inquiry

Post by arnoldzippo »

Thank you for allowing me to not only join but for finding this site. I have a lot of free time on my hands and want to build something. Of all the airplanes I have looked at, the Pietenpol looks like the most interesting. I have extensive experience in the building trades and know what works, and what doesn't. A machinist friend of mine has a complete shop and can make anything I may need. Basic tools. knowledgeable, what else do I need? What I would like to know is where is a good place to start. I mean everyone who has done anything has gone back and said "I wish I had started there, it may have made things a bit easier". If I can find a finished plane to look at in Central Florida, hopefully on the west side, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time, and I hope you will be hearing from me againl
KenBickers

Re: General Inquiry

Post by KenBickers »

Arnold, the first step is to acquire the plans from the Pietenpol family. There is a link on the homepage of this website. Second step is to start making sawdust. (In between first and second step is to buy some sitka spruce. Most folks start with ribs. Those give you with minimal investment a sense right away if you want to keep going.) Cheers, Ken
danoliver

Re: General Inquiry

Post by danoliver »

I too am in the building trades and have found the knowledge and tools aquired over the years quite helpful for building an Air Camper. I actually started at the end so to speak by building the empennage first. Similar to starting with the ribs it is a cheap way to dip your toes in. Good luck man. Also check out the Matronics Forum, the Pietenpol Facebook thing, and of course Chris Tracy's West Coast Piet website.