New member, rookie question

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
ratman

New member, rookie question

Post by ratman »

Hello to all. New member here, retired last April from the Fire EMS service and now I have the time to start building my Air Camper. OK, I'm embarrassed right off the bat with my first question which is, do gusset plates go on the outside of the fuselage where the large pieces of plywood (large gusset plate) that cover the front portion of the aircraft? If that makes sense to ya'll. I figured that if the large pieces of plywood should fit flush against the longerons, braces and struts, would be a stronger bond, or am I missing something. Thanks in advance and I couldn't find anything in a search.
Lownslow

Re: New member, rookie question

Post by Lownslow »

Ratman,
If I am reading your question correctly, when you refer to the large plywood pieces (large gusset plates), you are referring to the plywood fuselage sides. If so there are no gussets on the fuselage outside where the fuselage sides attach. The fuselage sides serve as the gusset.

If you are not aware of it, there is a website called westcoastpiet.com run by Chris Tracy that has lots of useful information and hundreds of photos of Pietenpols under construction. I have attached a photo of my Piet showing what you are asking.
http://www.westcoastpiet.com/images/Ric ... 546adj.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

See, I learn things almost every time somebody posts to this list! Lownslow, that's a very interesting setup you have, with a removable center section of the pilot's seat that gives you access to the control elements that pass beneath the seat. On my airplane, the entire plywood seat piece is loose, not fastened to the seat framing at all, so I can remove it after removing the upholstered seat cushion. However, it takes a bit of twisting to rotate the trapezoidal piece of plywood to where it will lift out of the cockpit. With the removable section that you have, it must be a breeze at annual condition inspection!

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
ratman

Post by ratman »

Thank you Lownslow. Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you again as I'm sure that I will have plenty more questions to come.
Lownslow

Post by Lownslow »

Ratman just make sure you take advantage of the great website westcoastpiet.com that Chris Tracy has put together.

Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
Lownslow

Post by Lownslow »

Oscar, the access panel in the seat does make the condition inspection much easier, as does the seat back access and belly access.

One thing I'd like to point out in the photo. If you look closely there is a dark spot in the port to starboard brace in the front of the seat. This is due to a mistake I made when making the control beam for the aileron/elevator. I thought I was making the beam and its attached aileron horn to plan, but apparently I wasn't. I welded the aileron horn at right angles to the fore and aft tube. Upon close inspection of the plans the horn actually is slanted slightly to the rear. What happened to me, with the way I welded the horn and beam, is that when I tried to install the beam, feeding it through the front seat cutout, the aileron horn hits the back of the front seat before the rear of the tube clears the rear seat. The clearance is compromised since the back of the front seat is slanted when measured against the control tube. The only way I could get the control unit in place was to put a small indentation in the front of the seat brace.

I assume everyone else figured this out before, since I don't know of any else having the problem.

Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
ratman

Post by ratman »

Will do Lownslow, Thanks!