A new French builder?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
F@brice

A new French builder?

Post by F@brice »

Hello
I’m Fabrice and I live in France. I look with interest the beautifull Pietempol.
I buit a Demoichelle and now I think to build a Pietempol. In France it’s easy to fly legally with an homebuild ultralight aircraft.
But for be an real ultralight we have some obligations:
- The stall speed must be less than 35 Knots.
- the weight in fly can be maximum 992 pounds. That’s it min the ultralight can be weight maximun 650 or 700 pounds.

Do you think the pietempol can respect thaïs specifications?

Thank you, Fabrice.
taildrags

Re: A new French builder?

Post by taildrags »

35 kts = 40 MPH, I'm pretty sure my Air Camper can do this. Maximum weight 650-700 lbs: my Air Camper is right in that range, and that's including a few things it doesn't need, like a venturi vacuum, vertical speed indicator, and turn/bank indicator. Maximum gross weight of 992 pounds can be met by not using a 16 gallon fuel tank like mine has. Using the standard fuel tank in the wing centersection reduces the fuel capacity by about 6 gallons, which is almost 40 lbs.

Of course, no engine starter, battery, electrical system, or any of that. And maybe have to be an air-cooled flat-4 engine rather than a water-cooled inline 4, although there may not be much difference there.

Build it as a single-place and you can eliminate one set of controls (rudder pedals, control stick, throttle) as well as some of the front seat framing, to save some weight there too.
F@brice

Post by F@brice »

Thank you very much for your answer.
To be honest, a small parts of ulm respect the take off weight.
I will order the plans...

Fabrice
F@brice

Post by F@brice »

I ordered my plans 😍
I m very excited it was different compared my first machine:
https://youtu.be/W23CKVTi9Zg

https://demoichelle.wordpress.com/