Plywood sides

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Flyboy

Plywood sides

Post by Flyboy »

Any recommendations on removing the 1/8 inch plywood from the fuselage? I believe I read a post from a pietenpol builder who stated he restored his pietenpol by replacing the fuselage plywood.

thank you!

Flyboy
Terry Hand

Re: Plywood sides

Post by Terry Hand »

Are you asking if it is okay to build without having plywood sides at all? Or are you asking if a thinner plywood can be used. Please clarify your question.

Thanks.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

. . . Or are you asking how to remove the old material so it can be replaced with new?

If this is your question, you must determine which type of adhesive was originally used. If T-88, your answer is easy. T-88 softens under high heat. Run an iron slowly over the seams. As the adhesive heats, you can gently peel the wood apart - much like peeling a post-it note. Then sand the joint to provide a good surface for gluing the new skin.
If you have another adhesive, like resorcinol, I do not know of any technique other than mechanical removal. Be sure to get all the old adhesive off the old wood to provide a clean surface for the new glue.
Lorenzo
Terry Hand

Post by Terry Hand »

Lorenzo,

You read smarter than I do. Your answer makes better sense than my question.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Flyboy

Post by Flyboy »

Wow what a busy week! thank you for the reply to my question.

I was hoping there may have been a easier way to remove the plywood from the fuselage if I need to. Long story short! I was given, yes given a partially built fuselage. I am evaluating the fuselage to see if I can salvage it and complete it. apparently it was covered before and the covering was removed. No history on the piet. I just have the fuselage and the tail feathers.

So far it look salvageable but I am still deciding. The glue used was resorcinol. That's some tuff stuff.

You have answer my question. If I decide to remove it I will have to mechanically remove the plywood and glue.

Thanks!

Flyboy