Fuselage gussets

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Brian Amato

Fuselage gussets

Post by Brian Amato »

Where have you guys been buying your 1/8" plywood for the fuselage gussets? Aircraft Spruce? Boat Builders supply houses? Home Depot?
I'm ready to start the fuselage and wondering what you've been doing about this stuff?
Brian
Terry Hand

Re: Fuselage gussets

Post by Terry Hand »

I, fortunately, live about 1+15 away from ACS East, so I bought mine there and saved shipping. That is the only place I saw Mahogany gusset material, but others may have a better answer.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I have seen posts from people who have used door skin material for their gussets. Readily available and sometimes in several choices of wood type, 1/8" thick. In the airplane supply aisle at Lowe's ;o)

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

Love it Oscar....I always forget about the airplane supply isle at Lowes.
B
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

While I have not looked this year, a few years back I noted that after air venture every year two things happen; #1, EAA puts the four volume set of Tony Bingelis’s books on sale, and #2, Boulter Lumber puts their Okume plywood on sale. Both places used to have Sale ads inside the August & September issues of Sport Aviation.

When I bought mine, I paid roughly $129 for four sheets of marine grade plywood including shipping.

Here in Houston it would have been over $250.

Hope for all that these deals are still on!
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

Thanks Tom. By "sheets"...what size did you mean?
B
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

Full-size sheets, 4’ x 8’ which were then cut down for me into 2’ x 8’ for shipping. I Purchased two 1/16 inch sheets one 1/8 sheet and one 5/16 inch sheet to the best of my recollection. They were actually in metric sizes but the measurements I gave are pretty close.