Open Cockpit for those with Glasses

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Stroid

Open Cockpit for those with Glasses

Post by Stroid »

What do you guys do about this? I wear prescription glasses and have yet to find a great option. Goggles don't seem to fit around the glasses well. I got one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/aviation-helme ... SwaB5XjeXm

It works ok but still lets wind around the small visor into my eyes and of course is not a period looking item at all.

I have david clark headsets in my piet but would love to find something to shield the eyes that works well and looks good too (if possible).
Richard Roller

Re: Open Cockpit for those with Glasses

Post by Richard Roller »

I use these goggles. They fit over my glasses and are comfortable. I did fly without for several years with no problems, but it was an odd feeling if I stuck my head out the side into the slipstream. I worried about losing my glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/Halcyon-Vision-G ... 22&sr=8-12
auburntsts

Post by auburntsts »

Not a direct answer to your question (although I'm glad you asked it) but if you have a Facebook account I noticed that the Pietenpol page over there is way more active than here or Matronics. You might get more answers and quicker over there.
Todd Stovall
PP ASEL-IA
RV-10 N728TT
War Eagle!
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

I fly with prescription bifocal goggles. I ordered mine from ClassicGoggles.com.

The goggles come with a variety of lens colors (I prefer the clear lenses). The prescription part is a small oval piece that sits just aft of the lenses in a slot built into the goggles.

Your optometrist or ophthalmologist can give you your current numbers. You include those with your order.

Speaking of which, I should have mine updated this winter. Thanks for the reminder, Ken :)
Terry Hand

Post by Terry Hand »

These are not the most period looking of the goggle choices, but I think your glasses should fit pretty well under these tanker goggles.

https://ebay.us/NzwHMs
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I bought a pair of those military-issue tanker goggles and have worn them with glasses and a canvas flying helmet, flying my Piet. They work pretty well but like most of these, in order to get a good tight seal (they were made for wearing in dust and sand), they obstruct side view considerably. They are pretty good.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power