Wooden repair

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Richard Roller

Wooden repair

Post by Richard Roller »

Hi all.
While on my way to Brodhead this last summer for the fly in, N34KP was damaged. The tail wheel assembly was almost torn off the airplane. I've been working on repairing the damage these last few months. The damaged area is repaired now and it's time to recover the area. This is where I'm looking for builder experience and help.

I remember talking to several builders and flyers (since 1999, my first attendance) who were using epoxy resin instead of varnish on the wood structure. I'm wanting to know how that has turned out over time. I'll be covering the damaged area of the Piet soon and I'm concerned about the fabric adhesive and the wood finish. I'm thinking the epoxy should work well with the adhesive, but I'm curious about builder/flyer experience.
donbrewer

Re: Wooden repair

Post by donbrewer »

I have been working with various epoxies and fabrics for quite a while. I find epoxy is a good base for fabric covering if the finish is scuffed a bit with medium sandpaper. I have not found any of the various process glues that affect the epoxy.
Terry Hand

Post by Terry Hand »

Have you considered using the 2-part epoxy varnish from Polyfiber?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... kkey=21475
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

When Ken built N34KP he used the Superflite covering system, whichever version it was in the late 90's. I've been on their site and they also have a 2 part epoxy varnish. I'm not sure what Ken used to varnish the structure of his Piet. When I was removing the finish in the repair area (with a block plane set very shallow) it seemed brittle. I'm thinking he used a regular spar varnish of some sort.

I'm leaning toward a 2 part epoxy varnish.
Tools

Post by Tools »

You need the epoxy if you’re using a covering system that is MEK based so it doesn’t dissolve the varnish.

Using Stewart glue and latex, regular varnish is fine... which I also think is true if you’re using dope.

Using poly fiber, use epoxy.

Check the instructions for what you’re using.

Mike