Torque tube front collar

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Torque tube front collar

Post by PoconoJohn »

The plans show a rivet in the forward collar at the front of the torque tube. I'm wondering what other ways have been used to hold the collar in place.

While I'm here, has anyone used a cotter pin to keep the tube in place (mounted on control stick lugs) which connects both control sticks? If so, any particular cotter pin/size? I know some builders use bolts there.

Any advice or words of wisdom regarding the flight controls in the fuselage section?

Thanks!
taildrags

Re: Torque tube front collar

Post by taildrags »

Pretty sure my airplane has AN3 bolts with nylock nuts all along the torque tube and that makes it easily removable, but given the degree of difficulty I've found working up under the front as I age, you should also be able to use any of a number of simpler attachments as long as they don't obstruct the left-right travel of the stick by bumping the floorboard. There are cotterless hitch pins, some with a little ball detent that clicks them into place and wouldn't require fiddling with cotter pins at all. Probably the lowest profile fastener you could use there would be a roll pin since nothing would stick out either side of the collar, but those can be a pain to remove and insert. At least they're removable, unlike a rivet. An intermediate step between these solutions would be to use a regular AN393 clevis pin with cotter to hold the collar in place.

I have heard several builders say that they made their front control stick quickly removable to make it easier for passengers to enter and exit, so you might want to consider a cotterless hitch pin of some sort to attach the front stick to the torque tube for that reason. Mine is not readily removable... AN3 bolt with nylock nut.
PoconoJohn

Re: Torque tube front collar

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thank you. For the lugs in the forward and aft control sticks where the connector tube attaches, I'm thinking of AN415-2.

For the front torque tube collar, it seems I'll need something with a small diameter. I also want to be able to remove and reinstall it while seated in the front cockpit. Checking your suggestions.

I plan to stick with AN3 for control stick to torque tube connections.