floats

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

floats

Post by taildrags »

Does anybody know if Cress Walker is still around? He designed, built, tested, and sold plans for homebuilt wooden floats. He was out of British Columbia, I believe. I have a set of plans for his Muktuk Floats and have had an inquiry from someone looking for a set so they can build some but I don't want to give mine up.

I believe there may have been a set of floats built at AirVenture or Brodhead one year by the wood builders, but I'm not sure.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
StirlingMan

Re: floats

Post by StirlingMan »

I too would be interested in plans for a set of Piet floats. My project is the Sky Scout, but with a Model A engine powering it.
Would you be willing to lend the plans so I can have them duplicated? I promise to handle them carefully, and return them promptly, and will include a 2nd set for you to send to the other builder who is interested in a set.
Please let me know
Kind regards
Bill May
520-272-4752 or "williammay@q.com"
ralphhsd

Post by ralphhsd »

The EAA reprints of the 1930 Flying and glider Manual and the 1933 Flying Manual both have plans for light plane floats
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ralph; yes, I have the Flying & Glider manuals and have looked at those floats many times. However, the attraction of the Muktuk floats is that they are of wood, not metal like the ones in the manuals. Although I have some metalworking tools such as a rivet gun and other basic tools, working in wood is preferred by some.

I was able to contact Cress Walker. He let me know that some 5 years ago he got completely out of the floats and float kits that he used to offer. He did not respond to me when I asked if that included the plans, whether he is retaining the copyright or has put them in the public domain.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, no floats ;o)