Fuel Flow

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Elton Hanneman

Fuel Flow

Post by Elton Hanneman »

The Picture on the front cover of the 3rd quarter 2020 bothers me. Its not the smiling young lady its the fuel line. Having been involved in certification of new aircraft. Picture the tank being half full and the nose pointed down to a power off glide. Now visualise the fuel level in that tank. Can you not picture it is below the T fitting where the line goes down. Folks this a gravity feel system. Keep lines going down hill from both front and rear of the tank to a low point under the carb inlet both the shutoff valve and fuel strainer should be there. I test flew a friends Piet 35 years ago and he put the shutoff in the aft cockpit panel. IT quit on base leg and came back when I picked the nose up on final. When you learned to fly before the FAA you cut the power on down wind and adjusted the pattern to make the touch down point. That needs to happen with this cover picture airplane.
Be Safe till this cv fly's over
Elton Hanneman
Soon to join the UFO (united flying octogenararain's)
N1940