Trailering a Piet

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
mattlockwood

Trailering a Piet

Post by mattlockwood »

Looking around at Piets for sale. If/when I purchase, it’s likely I would have to trailer it home from afar.

Does anyone have any experience moving one Overland?

Descriptions/ detailed instructions, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
donbrewer

Re: Trailering a Piet

Post by donbrewer »

There are basically two ways to transport an aircraft. I have transported dozens, even sent one to Europe in a Maersk container. An enclosed vehicle is best. [truck or trailer] Using an enclosed vehicle, one sets the wings on either side, resting the leading edges on the floor and strapping them to the side walls. They are resting on foam pipe insulation under the leading edges while moving blankets cover the wings under the straps. The fuselage is in the center of the trailer or truck secured to the floor with straps and to the front and side walls with straps. Chock the wheels good !!! Judicious use of the foam pipe insulators is highly recommended. If a small, open trailer is used, I recommend laying the wings flat on top of each other. Use at least 5 foam insulators on the bed of the trailer and lay one wing flat on the foam. Next, add a couple of moving blankets to the top of the wing. Add more insulators on top of the bottom wing and lay the other wing directly on the foam insulators, trailing edge is parallel to the leading edge of the bottom wing. Add more blankets and straps over both wings to secure to the bed of the vehicle. This method will require two trips or two vehicles as there is usually not enough room for the wings and fuselage together, unless there is no gear on the fuselage. If there is no gear attached, the you can probably get both on the same vehicle. Use plenty of ratchet straps, moving blankets, and foam pipe insulators. In fifty years I have never had any damage using these procedures. Cheers, Don
mattlockwood

Post by mattlockwood »

Thank you Don!

Is there a uhaul truck large enough to enclose a Piet in the manner you suggested?
E.Woodson

Post by E.Woodson »

I used a 5X9 uhaul this summer to trailer a fuselage, tail feathers and landing gear I purchased from an old friend. I trailered it from Indiana to central WI to New Orleans with zero issues. I wrapped it in plastic and it fared very well. If I had to transport wings as well enclosed would have been the way to go. I'm trying to post pics but they all post upside down or sideways.
Training is good, but it's no substitute for experience...
Colonel Rosa Kelbb
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Been there, done that. Easiest way was in the big Ryder truck.
Steve_Piet2.jpg
PC310003.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Tools

Post by Tools »

I trailered a one piece wing Piet in one trip with a light duty 30’ bumper pull Trailer and half ton truck.

Easy trailer to make with a cheap camper frame. Frequently found for a couple hundred bucks.

Fuse and tail feathers put on very front, facing forward. Wing set just aft of wheels, and may hang off a tad. The tail is suspended over the wing easily with a little dimensional lumber.

It’s a very tongue heavy setup, so tows super easy.

Tools
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Sorry... I misspoke. The enclosed box truck that I hauled my Piet from Texas to Oregon in was not a Ryder, it was a Penske. I think it was the 26 footer because it wasn't that much more than the 22 footer and I had to pick up a motorcycle in California as well. I picked the Penske over any of the UHauls because I wanted the diesel for driving in the mountains. It worked great, super comfortable, drive all day without stopping for fuel, very secure in back. This was over Christmas so I needed the enclosed box since weather was going to be messy in several places over the 2400 mile trip.

Only one mishap and that was when I went out to the truck in the morning at the hotel parking lot and realized that I had left the cab light on all night, the battery was dead, and the keys were locked in the cab. The good news was that when I went to the hotel lobby to see if they could recommend a locksmith, the clerk just pointed behind me and said the locksmith had just pulled up, coming to fix one of the front doors to the lobby that wasn't locking right. Locksmith didn't charge me anything (but I paid him and his helper anyway), and they had jumper cables and gave me a jump start. Talk about lucky! I showed them what I was hauling in the back when I went to check the load, and they were all "wow!"

-Oscar
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

We just moved a Piet last month, about 300 miles across Wisconsin. Everything fit in a standard 20’ enclosed trailer, but the rear door of the trailer caught us off guard. The top of the radiator was about 3” too tall for the door. We tried letting air out of the tires but ended up removing the landing gear to get it in. No big deal.
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

Joel Timblin at High Road Aviation does aircraft transport and has moved many Pietenpols by trailer in recent years. I’d highly recommend him.

http://www.highroadaviation.com/
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association