performance characteristics

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
seatofmypants

performance characteristics

Post by seatofmypants »

Greetings to all;
I think it is more than safe to say that the amount of Piet's out there, being built, flown and the increased enthusiasm and discussions on this forum as well as other places, fly ins, etc is an overwhelming testimony to a man that quite simply was, pragmatic, a thinker, pioneer in flying for the common man and woman, while making it affordable for everyone to enjoy.
Having said that with no offense to the, shall we say more purists at heart out there, When Mr. Grega, and Mr. Niebecker decided to build a variant of the original Piet, according to Wikipedia, and i am aware of some of the changes in the design, IE Mounting of the landing gear. Not having the ability to pivot the wings fore and aft with regard to C O G. Fuselage dimensions, options for steel versus wood framing, and the controls for the ailerons and rudder I believe. What is everybody's honest opinion of the performance of the two while very similar at first glance there are some definite differences? Could you say that they both fly and perform quite similar or not? This has probably been asked before so i apologize beforehand for my redundancy. Thank you for reading, Blue sky's, white friendly clouds, low and slow, regards, Clyde