Luscombe wing

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
EzraDunlop

Luscombe wing

Post by EzraDunlop »

Has anyone on here used a Luscombe 8 wing on their air camper? Are there any items worth noting in regards to flight characteristics or otherwise? I’m looking at buying a mostly finished and unflown project that uses a Luscombe 8 wing and wondering if there’s anything I should be concerned about.
taildrags

Re: Luscombe wing

Post by taildrags »

I don't know anything specific about the wing, but just looking at a Luscombe 8 for example, it uses the NACA 4412 airfoil, has a wingspan of 35 ft and a wing area of 140 sq.ft. which puts the chord at an average of 48". The gross weight and top speed are both higher than that of the Air Camper. The 4412 is a 12% thickness airfoil, so if the chord is 48" then the wing is about 5-3/4" thick... which is thicker than the Pietenpol wing by 1" and has a chord that is 12" less at its root than that of the Hershey-bar Piet wing.

I have never flown a Luscombe so I have no idea how they handle in the stall, in slow flight, or in cruise. The Luscombe is said to stall at 40 MPH with flaps extended.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

That's pretty unusual.
Is the project actually a Pietenpol or a Grega?
EzraDunlop

Post by EzraDunlop »

Not sure if it’s a Grega or Piet. I will be going to look at it later on in the month and I will know more then. From the pictures it appears to have been modified, has no flaps any more and it looks like the fuel tanks have been removed from each wing and put in the centre section like a standard Piet.
Attachments
652F14DD-5F60-4B2B-A413-5A662595D1DE.jpeg
E16C0498-C8B6-45B4-ABDA-9EFD5AA461DD.jpeg
6F64DD27-D822-43B4-9927-17149AB05BBB.jpeg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

It appears to have other mods as well. The Air Camper elevators do not have 'horns' at the ends for aerodynamic balance, nor do they have rounded ends.

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Yes Oscar. I'm curious about that tail myself.
EzraDunlop

Post by EzraDunlop »

Tail and landing gear are actually from a cub. I suppose that qualifies this as being a Grega
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

The usual way to differentiate a Grega from a Pietenpol is to look at the main landing gear attach points to the fuselage. On the Grega, the forward mounting point is the same as the Piet but the aft is moved forward and does not coincide with the mounting point for the aft lift strut. However, they aren't all set up that way. Another difference is the mounting for the cabane struts. On the Piet, the cabanes are mounted such that the wing can be pivoted forward and aft, while the Grega mounts them such that that is not possible. On most Gregas, the tailwheel is steered via a pair of arms off the lower sides of the rudder rather than by its own set of cables going aft from the rudder bar.

Pix of the Grega GN-1 landing gear mount and tailwheel steering setup attached.

-Oscar
Grega_legs.jpg
Grega_tailwh.jpg
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Lots of variations in Piet construction. N34KP (built from Pietenpol plans, short, wood fuselage) has tail wheel steering working off the rudder, with a wooden rudder structure.

Pat, the picture is upside down again, can you fix it? 🙄
**This is FIXED. I blame the Russians. -pjw
Attachments
20200602_123031.jpg
Last edited by Richard Roller on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Richard; the picture is only upside-down in the preview. If you click on the image to open it, it comes out right-side up.

-Oscar