jury struts

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
blinding speed

jury struts

Post by blinding speed »

Getting started on the jury struts, was planning to use 3/4" .049 tubing on hand, but it seems a bit heavy. Considering 1/2" or 5/8" .035 tubing instead. Would appreciate any advice you might have. Buddy Linder
taildrags

Re: jury struts

Post by taildrags »

Buddy; here you have one of the flagship Air Campers in the fleet... Mike Cuy's beautiful airplane. See if you can tell what size tubing his jury struts are, but they sure don't look anything like 3/4"!
jury.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I'll be at the hangar sometime today and will put the calipers on the jury struts on 41CC to at least get you the OD of mine.

-Oscar
blinding speed

Post by blinding speed »

Thank you. Buddy
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Just checked the jury struts on my airplane (which I didn't build). The verticals are 1/2" OD steel tubing, while the horizontal connector between the verticals is 3/8" OD.

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

N34KP's jury struts are 3/8" x 9/16" steel streamlined tubes. I don't know where Ken found them. He told me once he'd bought them 20 years, or so, ago when he was buying stuff for his Great Lakes project.
jury strut.jpg
A.E.D. metal products have odd size and small streamlined tubes in different materials.
https://www.aedmotorsport.com/store/mat ... streamline
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

I'm using streamlined aluminum for my jury struts. The aluminum was purchased, along with larger streamlined aluminum for the diagonal struts, from Carlson's. The jury struts are approx. 1 1/8" by 3/8". The horizontal spreader strut is round aluminum 0.5" dia x 0.060 wall thickness. Cheers, Ken
Attachments
IMG_0474.jpg