Great deal for your build

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
tom kreiner

Great deal for your build

Post by tom kreiner »

Consider that there are some 17 cables, maybe more depending on your landing gear, etc., and each of those cables will need end fittings. The old tried and true, but kinda ugly method is using a thimble and Nicopress sleeves to fashion an eye. Then figure out how to attach the eye to the bracket on your plane...

So, one thing I found while looking at a lot of Piets, is the MS20667-3 Rope Fork Terminal, which is swaged onto the cable. These are around $12. each at ACS, and I paid almost $3 for each of mine thinking that was a good deal. Well, here's a better deal for those of you wanting to use these rather than the thimble and sleeves. So take a look at this link I came across and if you need 'em get while you can!

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loos-Co-MS2066 ... 2791418579

Oh, did I mention free shipping?
doug bryant

Re: Great deal for your build

Post by doug bryant »

yes, those are nice! it does require a swaging tool and dies to swage them to the cable. the swaging tool set is quite expensive for the indivdual to buy for one airplane.
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

That’s why we have EAA chapters!

My chapter has certified scales, mill/drill, brake, a Tig welder, and more.

I just took a look at Amazon, half a dozen for less than $200.
Last edited by tom kreiner on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug bryant

Post by doug bryant »

that would be a great idea for chapters! i dont think ours has one
doug bryant

Post by doug bryant »

wow! that is a great benefit for the members. i have all the other tools myself but the only swager around here is 50 mi away; not very convenient. i used those barrel swages ln my first piet
A43FC18B-B62A-450A-A5BF-B05DD62728E8.jpeg
doug bryant

Post by doug bryant »

bought some; thx for posting!
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

I have used those on my tail wires. Really not that expensive to have Aircraft Spruce make them up.
ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Tom,

Could you add a link to the $200 Amazon swage tools? I suspect those are the ones for use with copper sleeve Nicopress fittings. They look like bolt cutters with deep serrations in the jaws where the swaging takes place.

I see also that there are hydraulic swaging tools on Amazon that are sold for cable railings and such. Our IA neighbor had one of those and thought he was very clever using it to swage some landing gear fittings. The cable pulled out of the fitting at a very low load, luckily I caught it coming loose before it parted completely. Beginning of the end of using that IA.

The fittings in the ad take a very specialized tool that is usually a few thousand dollars, even for the manually operated version. I'd love it if there was a good alternative, but I've never seen it. The entire length and circumference of the barrel of the fitting except for a small allowed "flash" needs to be swaged to the specified dimension to make the rated capacity.

Loos has good info on what makes a sound swage. Please have a look at the manual:

https://loosnaples.com/images/Documents/m1_2_manual.pdf

FBOs will sometimes have the correct tool and there are military surplus ones around, but never cheap. Spruce doesn't charge much to swage them.

Chris