Quick question on the 8 tail brace fittings

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Quick question on the 8 tail brace fittings

Post by PoconoJohn »

I made the tail brace fittings to match the drawing. Will they work?
taildrags

Re: Quick question on the 8 tail brace fittings

Post by taildrags »

PJ, I'm not sure what the question is. If you're referring to the very simple bent metal tabs that the brace wires attach to, there's not much to them. As with all of these details, you can get a lot of verification of your questions or doubts by looking at what others have done, most notably by visiting the fabulous "library" of pictures on Westcoastpiet.com . For example on the tail brace fittings, here's a link to a picture of the upper one on Bill Rewey's Piet- http://westcoastpiet.com/images/Bill%20 ... CF0045.JPG . Or Mike Cuy's- http://westcoastpiet.com/images/Mike_Cu ... 20side.jpg . Lots and lots of excellent photos on Chris Tracy's super website.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

I learned awhile ago to not go by the measurements or drawings, but I had already made the fittings. I'm about to drill holes in the beams to match up with the holes in the fittings. I don't know if any builder discovered the fittings should have been built bigger or if there's another problem...maybe when connecting the brace wires. I made the holes 3/16". I often look at photos, but I can't tell what the dimensions are.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

You're correct that there are a number of places on the Air Camper which if you build as per dimensions on the plans, may 'trap' either the bolt head or the nut (or both) when you install the part or install another fastener that faces that one. I have a couple of places on my airplane where I wish the fittings would have been lengthened just a bit to provide more clearance to insert the bolt, or the washer, or something else.

-Oscar
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

John, yes most of the fittings would benefit from being slightly longer than the plans show.
I made mine to the plans and it would make things a little easier if they were longer, but they will work fine so I'm not going to stop the progress I've been making this week and go back and remake them right now!
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks! You must be getting near the finish line.
Dana H

Post by Dana H »

John, when you go to hook up your cables to the fittings and find they are slightly too close just loosen the nuts on the fitting a couple threads book them up and re-snug. Might be just enough to get it done.
Dana H

Post by Dana H »

Dana H wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm John, when you go to hook up your cables to the fittings and find they are slightly too close just loosen the nuts on the fitting a couple threads hook them up and re-snug. Might be just enough to get it done.
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

PoconoJohn wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:44 pm Thanks! You must be getting near the finish line.
Well, close to the finish line for this task!
Lots more to go. I really try to just focus on the task at hand, looking at the whole thing can get overwhelming!
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Dana H wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:41 pm John, when you go to hook up your cables to the fittings and find they are slightly too close just loosen the nuts on the fitting a couple threads book them up and re-snug. Might be just enough to get it done.
Thanks Dana!
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Earl Brown wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:23 pm
PoconoJohn wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:44 pm Thanks! You must be getting near the finish line.
Well, close to the finish line for this task!
Lots more to go. I really try to just focus on the task at hand, looking at the whole thing can get overwhelming!
Yes!