Age and Insurance

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
JimV

Age and Insurance

Post by JimV »

Long time pilot, new here and new to a Piet at 74, if you’re over 70 what’s your experience with insurance, age and experimentals? Thanks
Richard Roller

Re: Age and Insurance

Post by Richard Roller »

Jim. I lack 3 years to 70, but I'll tell you what I have. I'm in the Kansas City area, N34KP is hangered at K34, Gardner, KS. Through Falcon insurance I pay about $450 per year, liability only. That includes the airport requirements for them, in case I burn the hanger down.

I've been involved with Pietenpols since 1996, an a/c mechanic since 1975. Loved it all. I have noticed a little more struggle getting in and out of the Piet the last few years, but I still make it. Love flying it. I have decided that if Brodhead comes off this year I'm going to break up the return trip into 2 days. Easier on my butt!
JimV

Post by JimV »

Thanks, 70 seems to be the tipping point. North of that and the Underwriters begin to get "uncomfortable". Anyone over 70 want to chime in?
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Well, I'm just a few months away from turning 70 and my insurance (on my Air Camper, with Falcon) renews in October so I guess I'll find out if age after 70 makes a difference when I get my quote for next year's coverage. For the last 10 years I've paid just about a dollar a day for liability coverage, which I was required to carry by the county airport authority. My plane may be the simplest and least expensive on our airport, but I'm sure the prop on my A75 could get in some vicious licks on any Gulfstream, Citation, regional jet, or one of Erickson's Sikorski S-64 Aircranes if my plane got away from me and ran into something bigger and more expensive. Or into a human being.

I only had maybe a half-dozen hours in my plane when I took out the insurance and the rate was the same as it is now, though a good part of my total time as a PPSEL has been in taildraggers, starting with my first logged flight hours in a 40 HP J-3 Cub back in about 1971. I don't know whether it was my tailwheel time or the Pietenpol's favorable accident history that shaped my insurance premium, but either way, I'm happy. I find flying the Piet to be less stressful, more relaxing, and far more affordable than flying certified aircraft. Preflight is quick and uncomplicated. Flight operations are straight stick-and-rudder with no flaps, no retracts, no cowl flaps, no mixture control, prop pitch control, no primer, no starter, lights, fuses, master, or anything else to detract from the flying. Very little to forget or to remember, except what I first learned: how to fly the airplane. The one thing I would rather not have to mess with is a radio, but I'm based on a towered field with scheduled air carrier operations, so I have to put up with that till I get clear of class delta airspace.

So JimV, where are you located? Ever been in an Air Camper?

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
JimV

Post by JimV »

You'll be "grandfathered", (and that'll help) just don't ever drop it.
I'm in Houston, flying since '73, retired Airlines (24k hrs,) 450 T/D, love "low and slow".
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

JimV, plenty of Piet builders and pilots around your area of the state. You should try to connect with someone who is building or flying one and get a better idea of what the Piet is like. PS, I took my Private checkride at David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport (KDWH), in the Houston area. Old time examiner name of Andy Anderson signed me off. He pulled the old "oops... dropped my pencil on the floor. Can you reach down there and pick it up so it doesn't jam the controls?" trick on me to set up an unusual attitude for me to recover from in the Warrior ;o)

-Oscar
Don Youngblood

Post by Don Youngblood »

I'm 79 and have been insured by Falcon since Airworthiness Certificate in 2016. My premium for liability only is currently $495. Don Youngblood, N41YB.