Newsletter - Lift Strut Detach

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Varmint

Newsletter - Lift Strut Detach

Post by Varmint »

I'm curious about the article in the recent newsletter in which a lift strut detached from the fuselage. Does anyone know if this was a one piece or 3 piece wing?

Obviously the one piece wing would be at an advantage in this situation. In the case of a 3 piece wing apparently the force that the strut should have been carrying was instead carried by the cross wire between the lift struts that runs from the forward spar down and aft to the rear strut to fuse attach point.

I'm also surprised that in final assembly the plane "rigged out" nicely unless the lift strut was originally built 1/2" short. Otherwise it seems the 1/2" "too long" lift strut would have made it hard to avoid the plane having "wash in" on that wing.

In any case, a very happy landing for sure!
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Re: Newsletter - Lift Strut Detach

Post by Pat Weeden »

I believe Don's is a 3-piece wing.

I showed that article to an A&P friend and he said, "That happens more than you'd think. "I did it once on a Grumman F3F."
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
Don Youngblood

Post by Don Youngblood »

Attachments
IMG_20180822_121246288 (640x360).jpg
Chris_899DP

Post by Chris_899DP »

I was wondering the same thing after reading the article. Finding this thread has greatly increased my confidence in my own plane!

Chris
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I began work on a "reverse engineering" article for the Newsletter on this topic. Should appear in a 2023 issue.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Chris_899DP

Post by Chris_899DP »

That is great to hear Oscar, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reverse engineering series!

Chris
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Thanks to Newsletter reader, contributor, and Piet builder Peter Jhones for putting me onto this investigation. It's great fun.

-Oscar