Aluminum cylinder head for Model A

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Aluminum cylinder head for Model A

Post by Pat Weeden »

Here's a message received at BPA headquarters. Any leads would be helpful.
Good morning.

I own a 1929 Model A Ford Special Coupe and recently discovered that the cylinder head is made of aluminum. A fellow Model A Ford Club member suggested that the head may have come from your organization, or that someone in your organization may know where it came from.

Specifically I am looking for the maker, the model and specifications for the cylinder head. Attached are a couple of photos of the cylinder head as installed on my Model A Ford.

So far I have not noticed any performance issues with the head but just looking for more information.

I appreciate your help with this.

Bill Harms

Proud owner of a 1929 Model A Ford.

Walworth, NY
Attachments
Aluminum Head 2.jpg
Aluminum Head 1.jpg
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
Tools

Re: Aluminum cylinder head for Model A

Post by Tools »

Wow, would have to consult the Old Testament!

Generally, they increase HP, about 10, at the expense of some reliability. Mostly popular on piets for weight savings. Some had bosses for drilling for a second set of plugs.

They come from the model A performance community, not really a Piet community innovation, although probably not a stretch to say the mid 80s to mid 90s Piet community is responsible for quite a resurgence in popularity.

I researched them pretty heavily in the mid 90s.

Tools