Brazing Rods for 4130

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jeffreyK

Brazing Rods for 4130

Post by jeffreyK »

I have been TIG welding my parts but several call for brazing and the orientation would be very hard for me to do with TIG. I am having trouble finding out what brazing rod and flux to use. EAA suggests Eutectic 16 but I can't find them to buy. I have found references to brazing in the forum but no specifics on what to use for 4130 chromoly. Any input would be appreciated.
Richard Roller

Re: Brazing Rods for 4130

Post by Richard Roller »

N34KP, the Piet I fly, was built by Ken Perkins and has been flying since 2000. Ken did not braze any of the parts. I believe he used ER70-s2 rod. So far, so good.
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Yes, that is a welding rod (not a brazing rod) you can use on 4130. I have been TIG welding and there are areas I can't reach with that technique. Gas welding wouldn't be a problem reaching those areas though my gas welding skills are limited. Brazing is called for in some of the joints along the control stick and brazing is less risk to weaken the metal tube which is good protection for welders like me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Tools

Post by Tools »

Bicyclists braze 4130 quite a lot. Check into bulletin boards that cater to them.

I’ve seen a fair amount of plain old brass brazing on VERY OLD airplane parts.