metal parts

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
stephunk

metal parts

Post by stephunk »

I'm trying to find a machine shop that can fabricate metal parts for the Pietenpol. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction.

It makes no difference to me where they're located.

Thanks,

Stephen King
Plano, Texas
Erik (Woody) Woodson

Re: metal parts

Post by Erik (Woody) Woodson »

Any luck? Most areas have a couple fabrication shops with cnc machines that can do it for you once you "build" your parts in an autocad type program. You get free access to solid works with an EAA membership. I was able to build them all and send them to my uncle who water jetted them all. Unfortunately he sold his company but like I said just ask around local fab shops if they can do cnc steel. If interested I can send you copies of my cnc files for all the parts. Of course these were for my build and my build only so buyer beware (they may be worth exactly what you pay for them). That said most parts worked out great.
Erik "Woody" Woodson
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Solid Works is no longer available for free through the EAA.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

I would be leery of making any part, metal or wood, until that part is needed. I've found during my build certain measurements don't work or I need a different size, holes somewhere else, etc. Just one example, the fittings on the tail section for the wires. Depending on how you attach the wires to fittings, you may need slightly larger fittings. That's just my project; maybe others have had no problems. If the plans say a certain part goes somewhere, I figure out what I need and don't really concern myself with the plans dimensions.

John C
Erik (Woody) Woodson

Post by Erik (Woody) Woodson »

bummer about no longer offering Solid works, guess I was lucky. The parts turned out great and haven't had any fitment problems, I've used most of them so far so good.
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

You don’t actually need a CAD program to draw out the metal pieces for the Piet.
Almost any vector graphics program will work.
As will a pencil and paper if you are actually making the parts yourself.
wtourn

Post by wtourn »

hola Erick, lei que tienes los cortes ayu dibujados, serias tan amable de compartirmelos por favor ? desde ya muchas gracias