model A engine options, opinions from model A experienced folks

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
pauldonahuepilot

model A engine options, opinions from model A experienced folks

Post by pauldonahuepilot »

was wondering what kind of mods are recommended for the Model A engine? does anyone fly with the alum high compression heads? overhead cams? The Burtz block? Antique Engineering engine? touring cam? does anyone provide a turn key model A engine for the Piet? or where to get some of the work done? single or dual mags? sorry for all the questions, just starting to think about my Piet again. its hanging from the rafters in my garage right now and starting to think the Model A would be a cool powerplant option. Paul
Richard Roller

Re: model A engine options, opinions from model A experienced folks

Post by Richard Roller »

Paul.
Most people fly with high compression aluminum heads. The Piet I fly has a model B cam in it. Previously it had a touring cam. I have a single mag drive off the crankshaft at the moment. There are several with duel mags, driving off the crank and the governor drive on the side of the engine (if you have a governor drive). Dan Helspurs Piet drives one mag off the crank and one through the distributor hole, top of the engine. As far as I know there isn't anyone supplying a turnkey engine for the Piet. Lots of AER parts flying around. I'm not aware of a Burtz block as yet flying. I like the idea of 5 mains and the better crank seal, but they are heavy. Still, Piets have flown with flat head Ford v8's, so I'm sure it could be done.
20201112_140445.jpg
20180404_182455.jpg
20210107_125241.jpg
pauldonahuepilot

Thanks for the info and the pics Richard. hope to gain as much info as possible before making a powerplant decision. where can i source a prop hub? and any particular magnetos, carburetors? any other non obvious tricks to share? Paul
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Ken Perkins built this Piet. He made the prop hub per the plans. The prop is an Ole Fahlin prop Ken ordered in the early 1980's. Ken made a few 6 bolt SAE 1 hubs that would fit the Model A crank, I think Dan Helspur's Piet might have one, but I'm not sure. I don't have one. I don't know if anyone is making them. This Piet is flying with a Zenith carb, from a model A. Currently it has a Slick 4301 magneto installed.
pauldonahuepilot

thanks Richard!
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

20180408_174854.jpg