C65 engine mount

For Sale and Wanted ads for Pietenpol related items may be posted here. Please remember to manage your ads when your items are sold.
jklemin

C65 engine mount

Post by jklemin »

I am changing to a corvair engine from a C65. I have a engine mount for sale for a C65 for a Pietenpol. $200 obo plus shipping. John
taildrags

Re: C65 engine mount

Post by taildrags »

John; do you know if this mount is fabricated in accordance with the supplemental drawing from the Pietenpol family?
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

If you have a mount already made for a Champ or Cub, could you simply (and safely) modify the firewall/fuselage attachments to fit that mount? In my old buddies estate there are three motormounts. two for a small Continental and one for a small Lycoming. When I saw them I thought about use in a Piet.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Steve; I am not a welder or a steel fabricator but in my opinion, if the four mounting points for the Champ or Cub mount don't closely match the horizontal and vertical dimensions and geometry of the Piet mounting points, the rework required to bring one into alignment with the other might not be much less work than just building a mount from scratch. Reworking the mounting points themselves to match the Piet mounting arrangement might be a bit problematic too, since the Piet mounting bolts slide into the mount transversely, not in a fore-and-aft direction like many other engine mounts attach to the firewall framing. The engine thrustline needs to be examined as well, since the location of the thrust vector can alter the way the airplane flies. I don't have a Champ or Cub mount to compare the Piet mount against, so I can't say how close a match they are. Perhaps someone who has access to both a Piet and either a Cub or Champ can chime in-?
jklemin

Post by jklemin »

taildrags wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 pm John; do you know if this mount is fabricated in accordance with the supplemental drawing from the Pietenpol family?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My compute was hacked. What a mess. I am assuming it is as the mounting tabs are to specs. It was a flying Piet built in 92'.
johnw

Post by johnw »

John, is the motor mount still for sale?
If so please call me @ 501-269-1764