1/8" Plywood

For Sale and Wanted ads for Pietenpol related items may be posted here. Please remember to manage your ads when your items are sold.
Brian Amato

1/8" Plywood

Post by Brian Amato »

Just passing along a tip that might help some of you guys out, looking for a good price on 1/8" ply for gussets. I found this on-line and ordered 3 sheets. Nine bucks and change for three of them. About the same again for shipping but still cheaper than I've found anywhere else.
I have no vested interest in this outfit...just passing it along:
https://www.idealtruevalue.com/store/p/ ... KjEALw_wcB
danoliver

Re: 1/8" Plywood

Post by danoliver »

Might be wise to give it the old boil test just to be sure.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Dan; I am not in the wood business and not in the FAA standards office business either. Just an ordinary builder with the usual curiosities, so I have often wondered what the circumstances might be where an experimental amateur-built aircraft might have its wooden structure subjected to boiling water, and for what length of time. The worst damage I've ever seen to the plywood parts of an airplane was a partially-completed KR fuselage, just plywood skin on wood frame without any glassing or varnish over it, that had sat in a garage with a collapsed roof over it for about five seasons. The plywood was delaminated, things were falling apart, no question that it was complete junk. Any airplane that is exposed to serious weathering or water soaking needs a thorough examination before ever flying again.

I've never been to OSH or Sun 'n' Fun or any of those events where it is common for summer thunderstorms to fire up in the afternoon and drench the field and airplanes, so I have no idea how much water gets into a wooden airplane tied down out on the field in one of those events. Can anyone chime in here about water damage from a good soaking? My point is that soaking plywood in water, boiling or not, is a pretty severe test but soaking it in any kind of water to see if it delaminates or deteriorates should be fine without having to boil it.

For an airplane that goes in the drink and is fished out a couple of days or weeks later, that's a whole 'nother subject.
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

The stuff I posted is labeled "Aircraft Grade" plywood. Now, of course, anybody can label anything they want how ever they want.
Reminds me of the time I was building a little sailing dingy from some plans I had purchased from a well known designer/builder/book author out in Maine. I asked him what he thought of using the tried and true Weldwood brown powder glue that he and so many of us had used for years. I said "will it pass the boiling test?" His answer: "Don't boil your boat".
Good enough said I.
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

Right on.