Modified Aircamper

For Sale and Wanted ads for Pietenpol related items may be posted here. Please remember to manage your ads when your items are sold.
GaryRead

Modified Aircamper

Post by GaryRead »

Modified Aircamper fully assembled last flown 2014. But run frequently. Runs good! Sold in parts collectively. Lycoming O-235-C1B, remanufactured by Lycoming Dec. 1966. 115 hp, metal prop, hand prop now. But once had full electrical system. No ring gear No starter. (I may have starter ring gear, old heavy starter and generator to give you) Engine and prop alone are worth asking price. Out of annual (condition inspection) being sold without license as is where is. 14 gallon fuel tank, 100 LL. Raised turtle deck for proper height of shoulder harness. Curtiss Jenny style tail. 32' Wing span. “V” lift struts Makes it easier to get in front cockpit. Jenny style nose, 800x6 wheels, First Flight 1-02-1994, TT Since Factory Remanufactured 1119.56, SMOH on engine 305.06, TT airframe 373.86 (tach time), Last compression check 2009: 72/80, 75/80, 74/80, 78/80.

Poor mans Super Cub. If they can get in front seat it will haul them ( I flew with 260 lb passenger. No view to front at all) Will Cruise at 95 mph but more comfortable at 85 flies good at slow air speeds too. Stall 35 +\- . Come and disassemble and haul away, I even have old 2 axle flat bed trailer I will give you, Trailer may need tires. I am unable to assist (Parkinson's) You reassemble, register / license then fly a nice economical light sport plane. $8,000.
Gary Read.
Text only: 727 -543-4724
( no phone calls please) Or Email: Gwread@aol.com
Located Hernando FL (12 oaks air estates. 5 FL 7) Photos to follow.
Earl Brown

Re: Modified Aircamper

Post by Earl Brown »

Do you have any photo?
I’d be interested in seeing how the structure was redesigned to accommodate the vee lift struts.
GaryRead

Post by GaryRead »

None of that structure specifically[y. I have to figure out how to post pics on here...
GaryRead

Post by GaryRead »

F123A1AA-B47A-47BA-AE00-FB497825248D.jpeg
Attachments
CC2E855B-CDDE-42A0-AD4D-432AC5ADEADC.jpeg
4B2D9EEB-ED88-45C6-A09E-7E2B703729C0.jpeg
15659757-9102-414D-BDC8-5D2A7AE1C53E.jpeg
5E1320B8-EC35-44C1-9C19-D78DBF56FC58.jpeg
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Cool plane. If it was originally signed off with an electrical system, sounds like it will need ADSB out.
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

rightforlineup- would you please explain that statement? As I read FAR 91.225, ADS-B Out capability is only required when operating in Class A, B, or C airspace, within Class E airspace when at or above 10,000 MSL (except when at or below 2,500 AGL, within 30 NM of a Class B airport... the Mode C veil), above the ceiling and within the boundaries of Class B or C airspace up to 10,000', and Class E airspace over the Gulf of Mexico when at and above 3,000' MSL and within 12 NM of the U.S. coast.

Let's look at what that means to an operator of this modified Aircamper. Class A airspace exists from 18,000' MSL up to FL 600. Not a factor. Class B airspace exists around the biggest and busiest airports in the country... PHX, LAX, ATL, ORD, IAH, SFO, DEN, EWR. Not a factor for me in a 70 MPH airplane. Class C exists around the next biggest and busiest airports... Milwaukee, Norfolk, San Jose, Sacramento, Reno, San Antonio, Nashville, Portland. Not a factor (for me, anyway; too big and too much traffic). Class E includes airways and transition airspace but ADS-B Out is only required in that airspace when at or above 10,000 MSL. Not a factor (for naturally-aspirated engines, anyway). In the Mode C veil- I'll skirt it. Above the ceilings of Class B or C airspace up to 10,000'- not a factor if I'm already staying out of the Class B or C, I sure won't try to overfly it. Class E over the Gulf of Mexico? Not a factor. So am I missing something?

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
non-electric Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Spark6

Post by Spark6 »

I agree with your assessment, by-and-large, Oscar. The one complication I might add would be for a case like mine - I operate out of a strip that is within the Mode-C veil of a Class Bravo airport. If I had an electrical system, (or if my aircraft been given it's airworthiness certificate with one installed that was later removed) then I would be required to have a transponder (and therefore also be in compliance with ADS-B) while operating in and out of the 2300' grass strip my airplane calls home. However, since my plane has no electrical system, and was never equipped with one, I am permitted to operate beneath the Class-B airspace, inside the veil, without transponder or ADS-B as per FAR 91.225(e). If the sale aircraft is, or was, equipped with an electrical system and therefore required to be transponder-equipped, then it would need to be ADS-B Out compliant for a use case such as mine. I'm not a lawyer though, so I often take the most conservative approach to interpreting the FARS out of an abundance of caution. YMMV!
- Barrett
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Spark6, I agree 100% with your assessment of the situations where this could be a problem, and I suspect that anyone who operates a simple experimental like ours out of a field that is located like yours is, knows that they are limited by their location and what they need to legally fly in and out. The person who is selling it says it's located in Hernando, Florida- and the nearest Class B from there is Tampa International, about 75 SM away. The Gulf of Mexico is closer at about 30 miles from Hernando, but it's hard to miss the Gulf in VFR weather and get in trouble by flying out to where a transponder and ADS-B might be required. I think one of the benefits of flying our Air Campers is having the option of keeping them simple, and people who are new to the airplane and looking to buy one may be deterred from joining us if they think that an airplane without an electrical system can't be flown without a transponder or ADS-B in most of the U.S. airspace. I stand to be corrected though, because I'm not always current on what the feds are up to as far as creeping regulation of private aviation.

-Oscar
Spark6

Post by Spark6 »

Oscar, we're in sound agreement on all points, sir! Whomever purchases this bird is going to have a terrific plane on their hands!
- Barrett
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Oscar -- agreed.

Those of us who live under and close Class B airspace tend to forget there's a lot of airspace you can fly a plane without ADSB. All of my local fields are in or near the Mode C veil and it would be a PITA to be excluded. Just worth noting that if the Piet was signed off with an electrical system it is not exempt the way most are. Again, cool plane looks like it would be fun to fly.
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL