Winter flying

Share photos of your Pietenpol, whether complete or project.
Dennis Vetter

Winter flying

Post by Dennis Vetter »

I was able to fly New Year's Eve and Day. Temp. was in the upper 20's and a bit chilly at 75 mph. But I stayed up for 30 minutes.
Attachments
KIMG0736.jpg
KIMG0736.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 6267 times
KIMG0730.jpg
KIMG0730.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6267 times
Lownslow

Re: Winter flying

Post by Lownslow »

I have managed to get in 4 1/2 hours this year so far. The days that were above 30, usually were very windy so I have been limited. All of my flight time this year has been with my front pit cover installed. That has really made a difference! Not only is it warmer, but the amount of wind in the rear cockpit is much improved. I don't know if it was due to cutting off the wind coming through the leg holes or just improved aerodynamics.

Something else that I noticed. Someone on the Piet Facebook site, warned me to watch for changes in my pitot static system readings with the front pit covered, since my static port is behind the pilots IP. I sure did notice a problem! My VSI is reading 500 fpm low on climbout. My airspeed seems OK, just the VSI is erratic.

Today is bright and sunny, buts its in the high 20's with 25 MPH winds. Not my idea of fun flying. :lol:
Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
Attachments
This photo was taken the end of February at a grass strip in Lowell IN. It was about 1/2 way into a 2.5 hr flight. Pretty lonely scene with no one around, even at the office. Back at my home airport , Porter Co. Regional, it was so busy it had to have the radio on and really watch the traffic.
This photo was taken the end of February at a grass strip in Lowell IN. It was about 1/2 way into a 2.5 hr flight. Pretty lonely scene with no one around, even at the office. Back at my home airport , Porter Co. Regional, it was so busy it had to have the radio on and really watch the traffic.
20170219_142631adj.jpg (277.78 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
douwe blumberg

Post by douwe blumberg »

been through Lowell each time I fly to Brodhead, but in July it's surrounded by corn. I wouldn't have recognized it. This is Lowell in 2013 on my first trip to Brodhead. this is the gentleman who ran it for decades, recently deceased. Now his son manages it. awesome people, he used to fill you up with "sweet corn" when you left!! these places are disappearing, as are these great people.

awesome strip!!

Douwe
Attachments
Picture 408.jpg
Picture 408.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6256 times
douwe blumberg

Post by douwe blumberg »

YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I!!

Coldest I've done was around 34 (ish).

"I didn't like it very much"

Douwe