Have Wing Stand, Will Travel....

Share photos of your Pietenpol, whether complete or project.
r1200gsDave

Have Wing Stand, Will Travel....

Post by r1200gsDave »

I made this wing stand this weekend following the plan from EAA.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-com ... wing-stand
wing stand.jpg
After Christmas I will be using it to transport a Pietenpol from Louisiana to Wisconsin.

More details to follow.
taildrags

Re: Have Wing Stand, Will Travel....

Post by taildrags »

Yes please... details! Will you be bringing the stand back to Louisiana or is it a one-way trip?
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

This fine fella in Louisiana donated a Pietenpol that he built to BPA. A couple of buddies and I drove a U-Haul from Wisconsin to Louisiana and loaded the plane up and hauled it back.

Look for details in a newsletter. Come to Brodhead this summer and see the plane on display.
Attachments
20171228_131506.jpg
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

Here is the plane called Snoopy in its new home.
Attachments
20171231_151404.jpg
Mike Kopf

Post by Mike Kopf »

I just bought a Piet yesterday (my first plane ever). We loaded it on my flatbed trailer and used 2" foam blocks and straps to hold it up against the fuse. We needed to drive 20 miles down I-30 in Ft Worth. We rolled all of 30 miles an hour. Thought it might be an easy trip but I was sweating bullets. Wish I had built a wing cradle first. We made it with only minute damage to fabric on one tip thankfully. Your stand looks great. I am going to build one ASAP. New to the forum, new to full scale flying. I will have a ton of questions for you guys over the months to come.
Lownslow

Post by Lownslow »

The only problem with a wing stand like this is that it is hard to store when done. I borrowed one like it when I was working on my Piet at the airport. It was great for moving the wings around but it does take up a lot of room. I have another set that is just the cradle portion made from 4 separate cradles. If I were to do it again I would the moveable cradle so that it can be disassembled for storage.
Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

I see 2 ways to disassemble a wing stand.... I am sure there are more.

Saw it into manageable pieces.... and glue / bolt it back together when you need it.

Or....

Use it as a wonderful source of heat for making s'mores and roasted weenies....

This was built for a purpose and like all of the other jigs I have made may not have a long life.
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

EAA Chapter 35 in San Antonio has a migrating set. I currently have them and when I am done, they go back into our chapter hangar to be used by the next guy. I had to do some rebuilding on them they are getting long in the tooth.