Pietenpol-List: A real message!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: A real message!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: JGreenlee(at)aol.com
Not to get too excited but I am ready to see if we can handle some traffic.Here goes.I read in on of the recent newsletter articles about the use of roller chain master links as shackles. What do you all think? I am going to pick some up this weekend and have a look see for myself.Steve E.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: A real message!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary McArthur
Steve,Here is a shot at a reply.I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in my ship inleiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remember correctly,they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In otherwords they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or a buckand a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.The only drawback I have seen is that they are not quite shaped perfectly forthe job. These look a little screwy if they are pulled at an angle ratherthan in a straight line. This is probably not a serious problem. I have puta few AN flat washers on the link to kind of shim out some of the space.What do y'all think about this? It would be interesting to hear some morediscussion.Happy Thanksgiving!John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: MBrusilow(at)aol.com
Hi,> I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in my ship in> leiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remember correctly,> they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In other> words they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or a buck> and a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.Doughhhhhhh! I just spent $50 on shackles from AS&S for my Christavia's dragand anti-drag wires. The order still hasn't arrived but I'm sure it's in the mail. I can assure you that my control cables will use these high tech shackles;-). Thanks for the great advice even though late for me. Now if we can justcome up with a way to eliminate turnbuckles. At $12 to $15 a pop, they can setyou back pretty quick.Ken________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
> Hey guys, it's an airplane not a bicycle. What are we talking about? Weare talking about two live people in an airplane at altitude.As for me, Iwant the best stuff holding it together. Happy turkey day Mike________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
>Hi,>>> I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in my= ship in>> leiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remember= correctly,>> they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In other>> words they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or a= buck>> and a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.>>>Doughhhhhhh! I just spent $50 on shackles from AS&S for my Christavia's= drag>and anti-drag wires. The order still hasn't arrived but I'm sure it's in= the>mail. I can assure you that my control cables will use these high techshackles>;-). Thanks for the great advice even though late for me. Now if we can= just>come up with a way to eliminate turnbuckles. At $12 to $15 a pop, they can= set>you back pretty quick.>>Ken>> Internet: ken(at)aurean.ca>>More Motorcycle parts for planes:In one of the "flying and Glider Manual" I read an article about usingmotorcycle spokes as turbuckles. I got the idea of using Harley=B4s or maybe Jaguar car=B4s spokes.The modification is to continue the tread for 1 or 2", use an angle with ahole to fix the spoke to the plane, and in the side of the special spoke nutmake a piece of bent strip with one hole forthe spoke, and another for thecable conection, sorry that my english is not so good, and I cant send a"drawing" through this e-mail.But look in the F & G M I think is a good idea.SaludosGary Gower________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

>>>>> Hey guys, it's an airplane not a bicycle. What are we talking about? We>are talking about two live people in an airplane at altitude.As for me, I>want the best stuff holding it together.>> Happy turkey day>> Mike>Sorry if you think like that, Aviation people thank the Wrights, Burt Rutan,and else for not thinking this way. imagine 5 people flying in a completlyasimetrical airplane Oh!!!! (the Bumerang).Just for your surprise: The Harrier jet USES bicycle chains to turn hisjets down to hoover.Think positive, think invention, think aviation... Or buy a Cessna, etc.SaludosGary Gower.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: A real message!

Post by matronics »

>Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:34:04>To: Pietenpol Discussion >From: Gary Gower >Subject: Re: A real message!>>>Hi,>>>>> I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in myship in>>> leiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remember= correctly,>>> they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In= other>>> words they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or abuck>>> and a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.>>>>>>Doughhhhhhh! I just spent $50 on shackles from AS&S for my Christavia's= drag>>and anti-drag wires. The order still hasn't arrived but I'm sure it's in= the>>mail. I can assure you that my control cables will use these high techshackles>>;-). Thanks for the great advice even though late for me. Now if we can= just>>come up with a way to eliminate turnbuckles. At $12 to $15 a pop, they can= set>>you back pretty quick.>>>>Ken>>>> Internet: ken(at)aurean.ca>>>>>More Motorcycle parts for planes:>>In one of the "flying and Glider Manual" I read an article about usingmotorcycle spokes as turbuckles. >>I got the idea of using Harley=B4s or maybe Jaguar car=B4s spokes.>>The modification is to continue the tread for 1 or 2", use an angle with ahole to fix the spoke to the plane, and in the side of the special spoke nutmake a piece of bent strip with one hole forthe spoke, and another for thecable conection, sorry that my english is not so good, and I cant send a"drawing" through this e-mail.>>But look in the F & G M I think is a good idea.>>Saludos>>Gary Gower>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: A real message!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: MBrusilow(at)aol.com
>Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:45:48>To: Pietenpol Discussion >From: Gary Gower >Subject: Re: A real message!>>>>>>>>>> Hey guys, it's an airplane not a bicycle. What are we talking about? We>>are talking about two live people in an airplane at altitude.As for me, I>>want the best stuff holding it together.>>>> Happy turkey day>>>> Mike>>>Sorry if you think like that, Aviation people thank the Wrights, BurtRutan, and else for not thinking this way. imagine 5 people flying in acompletly asimetrical airplane Oh!!!! (the Bumerang).>>Just for your surprise: The Harrier jet USES bicycle chains to turn hisjets down to hoover.>>Think positive, think invention, think aviation... Or buy a Cessna, etc.>>Saludos>>>Gary Gower.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Hi Garry: I had a few cessnas, bonanzas, etc, but I most enjoy my Piet which I havebeen flying since l988 For the record my Piet has several modifications eg; three foot centersection, adjustable cabane struts, exterior elevator walking beam & others. Great group, keep talking,we are here to learn. Mike.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

> For the record my Piet has several modifications eg; three foot center>section, adjustable cabane struts, exterior elevator walking beam & others. >> Great group, keep talking,we are here to learn.>> Mike.> Yes ! While we're at it, a while back at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH I unashamedly got in line with a bunch of kids to take my turn at sitting in the cockpit of an F-4 Phantom. GUESS WHAT ? It has a rudder bar ! Bernie and McDonnell Douglas. Bet they copied it off the Piet. :) Keep building ! Mike C., Ohio.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

>Which one?John________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Change of e-mail address

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
changed thanks-steve e.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: A real message!

Post by matronics »

>Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:50:02 +0000 (GMT)>From: Gary Gower >Subject: Re: A real message!>Sender: Maiser(at)apollo.byu.edu>To: Pietenpol Discussion >Errors-to: Steve_Eldredge(at)byu.edu>Reply-to: Pietenpol Discussion >X-Listname: sunasci.informador.com.mx id JAA00947>>>Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 09:34:04>>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>From: Gary Gower >>Subject: Re: A real message!>>>>>Hi,>>>>>>> I have incorporated a number of moter-sickle chain master links in my>ship in>>>> leiu of shackles. The ones I have used are a 420. If I remembercorrectly,>>>> they are rated at 4200 lbs per the moter-sickle people's books. In= other>>>> words they are much stronger than shackles. They cost about a buck or= a>buck>>>> and a dime compared to the 4 to 6 bucks the shackles cost.>>>>>>>>>Doughhhhhhh! I just spent $50 on shackles from AS&S for my Christavia's= drag>>>and anti-drag wires. The order still hasn't arrived but I'm sure it's in= the>>>mail. I can assure you that my control cables will use these high tech>shackles>>>;-). Thanks for the great advice even though late for me. Now if we can= just>>>come up with a way to eliminate turnbuckles. At $12 to $15 a pop, theycan set>>>you back pretty quick.>>>>>>Ken>>>>>> Internet: ken(at)aurean.ca>>>>>>>>More Motorcycle parts for planes:>>>>In one of the "flying and Glider Manual" I read an article about using>motorcycle spokes as turbuckles. >>>>I got the idea of using Harley=B4s or maybe Jaguar car=B4s spokes.>>>>The modification is to continue the tread for 1 or 2", use an angle with= a>hole to fix the spoke to the plane, and in the side of the special spoke= nut>make a piece of bent strip with one hole forthe spoke, and another for the>cable conection, sorry that my english is not so good, and I cant send a>"drawing" through this e-mail.>>>>But look in the F & G M I think is a good idea.>>>>Saludos>>>>Gary Gower>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
>>>>>Which one?>>John>>Is in the 1929, page 30, figure 3. There are several books and plans from pioneers, that have real great ideas,because there had to "invent" the parts, A little of their ideas and someof the spensive parts in high strengh and important parts, can make a goodinexpensive and save airplane, Buying all the parts trough Aircraft parts stores dont make a safe plane, iscommon sence and structural tests and following the plans as close as possible.Saludos Gary Gower________________________________________________________________________________